• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: "The file appears to be damaged" - Merge To Panorama with large Canon 5Ds files.

LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to create high resolution HDR Tilt-Shift Panoramas with Lightroom's Merge To HDR and Merge To Panorama functions. I have taken multiple images with a tilt-shift lens on a Canon 5Ds. Each finished photograph would be composed from 15 or 21 separate images. I take 5 or 7 photographs, 1 stop apart, from the center position then 5 or 7 from the shift right position and the same from the shift left position. Each set of 5 or 7 is merged to hdr to create one dng file. This process works fine. The resulting 3 hdr images are then merged to panorama which completes successfully. When I switch to the develop module or open the panorama file in camera raw I get a message stating "The file appears to be damaged". I have reproduced this error on different computers. My Lightroom version is the 2015.4 Release and Camera Raw is v9.4. Both computers are running Windows 10. It seems to me that Lightroom is struggling with the large file sizes coming from the 5Ds. Has anyone else experience this issue.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016
This should now be fixed as of the CC2015.6/6.6 update released today. You can find more details here: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2016/06/lightroom-cc-2015-6-now-available.html

However, to correct the issue, the images have to be merged again. The bug was with how the resulting DNG was created so HDR and pano DNGs created before the fix, will still show the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate
50 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced the same bug but with much smaller files from Nikon D90, so it is not about size. Windows 10x64 Pro Lightroom CC 2015.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. We're investigating this issue. Should be addressed in our next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2016 Apr 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well. I am using Lightroom 2015.5 with Camera Raw 9.5 For me one example is making a panorama consisting of 14 sets of HDR with 3 images each. The image is able to be edited in the develop module. The image size of my files is about 18 megapixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.
Canon 5D Mark III 
Canon 17mm TS-E 17mm
.CR2 Raw Files
LR 2015.5
Mac OSX 10.10.5 (3.5GHz i7, 32GB, GTX 780M 4GB)

1) Merge to HDR (3 frames with 5 bracketed exposures)
2) Create Pano (from 3 merged frames)
3) 'The file appears to be damaged'

This doesn't appear to happen if you set 'Boundary Warp' to 100%

Very frustrating.
Another broken update brought to you by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 22, 2016 Apr 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue merging multiple images from a 5D Mk3 (three or more).
Sigma Art 50
LR v 2015.5

Performance overall and especially for HDR and Pano just getting worse and worse with every release. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2016 Apr 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've had 4 weeks now Jeffrey, on this clearly reproducible issue. Any updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2016 Apr 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're asking when the next update will be released, Adobe doesn't usually answer "when" questions and you just have to wait for the update to be released.  They have at least said there'll be a x.5.1 update so we don't have to wait the customary 3 months for the .6 version to have some of the bugs fixed.  Apparently there were quite a few issues so it's taken longer than normal to get the x.x.1 version out.

If you're asking whether Adobe has been able to reproduce the issue so a fix can be included in whatever update they choose to include it in, Jeffery did say they ARE investigating the issue, and this thread is marked with an IN PROGRESS status, so Adobe is working on it by all indications.

It's always possible that the fix requires more work than Adobe feels comfortable with including in a rushed .x.x.1 version, but hopefully not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is fixed now in the latest release 2015.5.1 🙂 Good luck to all

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the latest update 2015.5.1 is out and no fix in it? 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Hoping it will be fixed in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"image appears to be damaged" after putting together a panorama from 3 Hdr's (also created with LR!). Does not appear (sometimes even then) only when using the same tool directly in CameraRAW via PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping it will be fixed in the next update.
But knowing it won't be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does it always feel like every CC update just results in us all having to play 'find what's broken now' as opposed to any actual improvements.. and then the inevitable weeks/months of waiting for a fix (healing brush, liquify tool and now this).

I'd trade one stable high performance release over regular updates with 'new features' if they are the only two options these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually also merging files from a Tilt/Shift lens on a 5DMkII, same situation as thread opener.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might sound strange, but this is actually a feature of Creative Cloud. Lots more updates, but ones that fail to address the biggest existing bugs whilst also introducing new ones and reducing performance yet further. And the best bit is that there is absolutely nothing any of us can do about it because we are now trapped subscribers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. This is exactly it. They need to concentrate on performance and stability. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2016 Apr 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, obviously there Q&A department is not doing there job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 03, 2016 May 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am dealing with the exact same issue (using the exact same camera and process).
But it seems that you can just ignore the warning and keep working on the files and successfully export them. So i guess what Lightroom is saying is that the file only APPEARS to be damaged when it actually isn't. Thanks Lightroom for letting me know....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, but it's annoying and I can't tell if there is no error for sure. 

I tried to export the DNG file as DNG file, reimport the new DNG and there is no more error message. Or alternatively stitch the images in CameraRAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error is because LR cant make a normal preview, thats all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing has been happening to me for months. Have ignored it as it doesn't stop me working on the files. Annoying though. Mac Pro and Macbook Pro, latest versions of LR CC. Error happens on both systems. No updates have fixed the problem, still getting it today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue - building HDR's and then creating Panoramas shot with any of my Tilt-Shift Lenses and the Canon 6D. After successfully merging the image, Lightroom says "the image appears to be damaged" even though I can edit the image in the Develop module and even successfully export it as a jpeg.

Then also, the platform has become really slow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 22, 2016 May 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Lightroom 2015.5.1, Camera RAW 9.5.1. Created two HDRs and merged to a panorama. Everything working great, just when opening preview/develop I get the "The file appears to be damaged" message. Never seen that before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 28, 2016 May 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

29 May 2016 - I encountered this problem for the first time today, did a web search and found this forum, noticed that LR had interrupted restart after installing new updates, restarted and problem still there! From the comments above, it would seem the file is fine, so I will proceed as if there was no error!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2016 May 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. It is not size. I have the same issue with a 6D and creating HDR - Pano's

Votes

Translate

Translate