• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Save Metadata in Lightroom does not write out keyword synonyms

Enthusiast ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I have a keyword in a photo with a synonym, and I check "Export Synonyms" for that keyword, and then hit cmd-S (Save Metadata to File), the synonym is not saved in the Metadata. It should be saved.

This is the same issue addressed in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/345318...

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
7 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2011 Oct 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting this. I've logged a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2011 Oct 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alan, this is what I have learned...

"Export Synonyms" is meant to apply when you export the image (via File > Export). That is working, according to my tests.

The option isn't intended to apply to writing metadata to XMP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 22, 2011 Oct 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Becky.

Perhaps I should have filed a feature request. If you look at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/345318..., you will see that many of us wish that Lightroom acted differently.

Here is my situation. I am using LR as a DAM, which means that I want it to tag my original photos. I catalog my photos according to the plants and animals that I have photographed. Usually I want to classify them by both the scientific and the common name (e.g. "Canis latrans", and "Coyote"), not just for export, but also to catalog the originals.

Right now what I do is add two keywords, with the other as a synonym. This reminds me to add both keywords, since sometimes I remember the common name faster, and sometimes the scientific name. It is clunky, but it works. And it is necessary because Lightroom currently does not search keywords by synonym, and because (obviously) no other product, such as Spotlight, can search by synonym if those synonyms are not in the metadata.

I think you can see why some of us would love it if Lightroom could be persuaded to write synonyms to the original files.

Thanks

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If synonyms are stored in xmp, there will need to be some synonym conflict resolution logic when reading xmp.

I mean as it stands, when xmp is read, if a keyword in xmp is missing in Lightroom, then its created, otherwise not.

Having synonyms in xmp you have the possibility that the keyword exists in Lightroom but the synonyms don't match - then what do ya do?

I'm not saying it isn't doable, but this wrinkle would need to be ironed out somehow.

Should other keyword attributes be stored in xmp too? like exportability...?

-R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Points well made. You can make up rules with delimiters, or add new fields to discriminate between them. Or you can punt and just write them, and rely on the user to configure Lightroom so that they are imported the same as they are exported. But adding any structure to your keywords adds one more thing you need to keep track of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2011 Oct 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just addressed this exact same issue in a new plugin that (among other things) saves "xmp" for virtual copies (xEmP). It saves synonyms and include-on-export attribute. When restoring, if the keyword already exists, then the saved synonyms and include-on-export attribute are ignored. But if the keyword does not exist in the catalog, then the saved synonyms and include-on-export will be used when creating the keyword.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2011 Nov 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I would love to have the ability to chose to save synonyms and hierarchy to the original files! Please consider adding it!

Votes

Translate

Translate