• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Sets color labels with incorrect case in the label name, affecting filters

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At some point, Lightroom set the blue color label on my photos to "blue" instead of the standard "Blue". This results in the toolbar filters & smart collection by color label not picking up these values. The only way to find the photos is to use the Attributes filter at the top of the grid, which will display the text values of the color labels, both "blue" and "Blue". At this point, the color labels of the incorrectly marked photos can be updated to the correct labels (via keyboard shortcuts or menu option). Going forward, all the photos will then be able to be found via all the filter options.

I've reported this as a Lightroom bug, but it might help someone so I'm reposting this problem & solution here.
See below the screenshots, illustrating the issue

- Notice the two highlighted blue photos

- Notice the filter results, filtering for blue photos, do not include these two photos

- Notice the attribute value of "Blue" in the filter list for the photos, matching the Blue color label filters, with the upper case B

- Without the color label filter applied, notice all the color label options available in the Attributes filter, specifically the "Blue" & "blue", with both the upper & lower case blue

- Applying the Attribute filter of "blue" with the lower case b results in the 2 original (and others) photos being shown.
At this point, selecting all photos and applying the desired color label (keyboard shortcut "9" or menu option) will mark all the photos as "Blue" and all the photos will be able to be retrieved with the standard filters

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018
Hi All,

I agree with consistency issues. We will investigate it further.

Thanks,
Chinoy

Votes

Translate

Translate
12 Comments
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing. It's not technically a bug, as color labels are just text metadata represented by whatever color is set in the Color Label Set settings at the time, but it does trip people up on a regular basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria,
I think it is 2 bugs in the display of the label badges and an inaccurate dropdown list in the Smart Collection.  See my summary at the end of this thread.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/inconsistiency-of-labels-of-the-same-spelling...
I was analyzing Svelana's issue in the bug report and discovered other issues summarized in my other thread.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered this issue solving another users question on another forum.  Apparently the labeling was done in another program.

Select 3 photos and set the label to the DEFAULT "Blue" in Lightroom.  Go to the library panel and rename one to "blue" (only the case changed) and one to "Cyan".   As you can see the left photo is labeled "Blue" with a blue square,  the middle photo is labeled "blue" with a blue square and the right photo is labeled "cyan" with a white square which is a custom label.  This means the displayed labels are apparently "case insensitive"

If you use the Library grid and the filter Metadata panel it IS "case sensitive"

Select "Blue" and only the "Blue" label name photo is shown.  The "blue" label name photo is not.

Select "blue" and only the "blue" label name photo is shown.  The "Blue" label name photo is not.

If you use the Library grid and the filter Attribute panel it IS also "case sensitive". Filtering by the Blue label only shows the "Blue" label name photo and not the "blue" label name photo

This also happens using the smart collection although the dropdown list only shows a lower case "blue" and not both "Blue and blue".  The strange thing when it is using "blue" it only selects the photo with the "Blue" named label.

The filters and smart collection correctly identify the "blue" and "cyan" photos as custom.

There are two issues here that need to be fixed.

One issue is that the badges on the photo with a "blue" named label should be WHITE or custom to be consistent with the rest of the interface respecting the CASE of the spelling.

The other issue is the Smart filter dropdown should respect the CASE of the label spelling like the Metadata panel does.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is good that you can have custom label sets with different names (although I don't use that feature) but the interface should treat the CASE of the label names consistently.  I didn't think about the language differences of the label names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In every other part of the user interface, LR aggressively ignores case.  That it doesn't ignore case in some parts of handling labels seems like an obvious bug to me (that is, the behavior was not intended by product design).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I agree with consistency issues. We will investigate it further.

Thanks,
Chinoy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, just to add here. These labels were not set outside of Lightroom, but by Lightroom itself, using the keyboard shortcut. So the issue isn't just with displaying the labels, but also with how Lightroom is setting them. I don't edit the metadata outside Lightroom and don't use any other photo editing application (besides Photoshop).
The photos affected by these issues span across years, so this incorrect setting happened on multiple occasions. Probably even across different versions of Lightroom. But within Lightroom alone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings, 

The Lightroom Classic CC was updated today and contains a fix for this issue. Please download the new version and give it a try and let us know how it works.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk
This is still not fixed in Lr8.  In fact it appears they have fixed NOTHING.  If you go through my steps in my above long post you will see that the behavior appears to be exactly the same as it was.  

As John Ellis stated above, Lightroom in every other part of the user interface, aggressively ignores case but it doesn't with the labels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread had two bugs against it, Robert. One of them was fixed and it looks like the other was not. I will reopen the issue here to reflect that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through all the scenarios referred to in this thread and I see no change so I am not sure what was fixed but thanks for keeping this open as it has potential to create inaccurate selections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Updates to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic, and the Lightroom Ecosystem were released yesterday evening and contain a fix for this issue.  Please install the appropriate update and see if it solves this problem. 

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate