P: Slow UI when using Mac and Custom Display Profile

66 Votes
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since upgrading to Lightroom Classic v10.0, all UI-related functionality is painfully slow. All editing functions are working correctly and quickly but scrolling through the catalogue or even scrolling a side panel is taking many long seconds to refresh. Unreasonably long.

Disabling GPU Accellaration has no affect on my Lightroom's performance.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Community Professional , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020
Please go to Help>System Info… and get us the exact installed version number of your software. If it's 10.0 or 10.1, please review the diagnostic step in this post to see if this is the issue you are facing: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mac-user-interface-slow-after-upgrading/5f91bbf7917fbb3a9935742e?commentId=5fa06f1e72a09d24e1c2b700 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020
Greetings All,   Update: 3/15/2021 Updates to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web were released today and contain a fix for this issue. Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience. Thank you for your continued patience. This thread is tracking issues related to a small group of customers who are seeing issues with very slow UI speed in Lightroom Classic 1...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1001 Replies 1001
1,001 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not. Like I said above my desktop rig with 3900X, 64GB ram, RTX2070Super with latest Win 10 works great. Dont know if its due Nvidia GPU in the PC or slower HW in MBP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same problem, latest OS but on a 2013 iMac (yes, I know its old but was working with Lightroom very well prior to the update.).

What was a simple task previously such as spotting out dust now beachballs for 2 or 3 minutes.

I would love to be able to recommend updating but Lightroom doesn't seem to be quite ready yet...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running on macos 10.14.6 on a Mac Pro 5,1 with maxed out specs and a Radeon VII graphics card. My Lightroom library is quit large but this was no problem before. I switched back to version 9.x so I can use Lightroom again. Version 10 was not usable at all, freezing all over the place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, hardware seems not the be the reason for the problem:

14-Core i9 10940x

128GB DDR4 RAM

AMD Radeon VII 16GB

Running 10.15 Catalina

New v10 Lightroom is very slow. Seconds after first start it was very fast, soon after everything started to slow. Even the curser lags. Activity monitor on MacOS shows huge CPU usage of LR even when idle.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac Users: try giving your Mac the "once over"! It may be a corrupt cache or application state that needs deletion:

Download the free Onyx (https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html), select the Onyx version for your OS, download, run it, reboot.

In Onyx run almost everything in the Maintenance tab, deselecting things you may not want deleted, like Launch Services . Hit the "Options" button across from "Internet" and check/deselect more stuff like Cookies & Other Site Data, Browser History, Form Values, (which are OFF by default), but make any other choices you want to keep. If you don’t know what something is, google it, or don’t run it, or ask me, then hit Run Tasks. After it's done it will ask for a reboot.

Also try to fix any directory damage by running Disk First Aid from Disk Utility: boot into Recovery Mode, (hold down Command-R when booting). When you're in Recovery Mode go to the Utilities menu and launch Disk Utility, select Macintosh HD (or whatever) and say Repair Disk. When done go to Apple Menu for Startup disk and restart normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try reducing the resolution of the UI in Lightroom by navigating to the Adobe Lightroom Classic.app in the Finder, and then click on "Get Info."  Check the box to "Open in Low Resolution."  This will allow the UI, including the text in the side panels etc.  to open in low resolution (without affecting the resolution of the image display).  It's worth a shot.  I've been using LRC like this for quite a while and it does seem to improve performance a bit.  And I don't really care if the text is in lower resolution as it is still easy to read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, you're way out of your depth here. Time to move on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you just stop? I've read this whole thread and you've repeatedly spouted nonsense. You obviously don't know what you're talking about, but feel compelled to advise anyway.  

Please, please stick to topics that you know something about, its not helping anyone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*carlos_cardona  some people swear to Onyx, some people don‘t... that tool can actually create problems it you don‘t know what you do. Also why would you try to repair something which is not broken, the problem is Adobe Lightroom, not Apple MacOS. And people are seeing it with Mojave (me), other people with Catalina ... this is a broken piece of software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@brian_corrigan_7501389 the problem is not the UI, the problem is how it deals with data. LR9.2 was working almost flawless for me, LR10 is a piece of ... software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here:

2013 MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-core Xeon X5, 64GB RAM, AMD FirePro D500

v10 UI so slow it is not usable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reality is painful to those who live in the the world of wishful thinking. Interesting how you can't identify a single error in my comments. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Onyx is a very powerful tool for people who know exactly what they're doing. It combines many useful things that one could execute within Terminal with a few lines as well but in an easier way. What's dangerous about this for "regular users" is it's not only easier to do helpful things but also to mess things up. 

Most of these kinds of repairs are not necessary on a regular MacOS installation. And in the few cases when things got really messed up it usually takes (thanks to iCloud) only little time and effort to reinstall MacOS and really start new. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've made some progress testing on my system and would be glad if some of you with similar hardware (Intel i9, Radeon VII 16gb, 128GB DDR4, Samsung 970 Evo NVME) could test the same. 

Before v10 it made little to no difference if I had the RAW files on the SSD or on a fast, internal HDD. After the v10 update, my daily catalog wasn't usable anymore, to slow. Deactivating GPU support helped a little bit.

This morning I selected the 1400 images I'm working on right now and exported them as a new catalog (including previews AND RAWs) to my NVME drive. Deleted lots of old stuff from this drive to make sure, I have at least 1/3 free space. Then opened the new catalog in LR, already much smoother. Went to LR settings, reactivated full GPU support, emptied Camera RAW cache und video cache and now LR is running smoother and faster as ever before 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why I ask them to search, or ask me, whatever they don't understand. I can't TELL you how many times I've fixed application issues with Onyx in my 25 years as a Mac IT Engineer! 99% of these users, if I wasn't there, would do more damage if they tried to use Terminal! Reinstalling the OS, that's what Windows techs do!

PS-you don't KNOW whether it's Lightroom Classic OR the Mac OS, or both, it's too complex! Even if LRC is the only app crashing, you STILL DON'T REALLY KNOW! Note how the majority of Mac users are NOT having this issue? What does that tell you? It may be (partially) your OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

casper_pedersen_7749526, I was responding to the issue presented by the OP who stated that...."Since upgrading to Lightroom Classic v10.0, all UI-related functionality is painfully slow. All editing functions are working correctly and quickly but scrolling through the catalogue or even scrolling a side panel is taking many long seconds to refresh. Unreasonably long."

He stated that HIS issue was with the UI, so I thought I would offer a potential band-aide that might make it easier for him to use the software until the next update.  Perhaps YOUR issues are different than the OP's issue, who stated very clearly that he is having an issue with the UI only. You may be 100% correct about your assessment/solution, but I was just trying to be helpful.  Perhaps your advice would be more valuable to him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do we really need to have flame wars here, too?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me!

Inredible Slow scrolling! 

macOS Catalina

Modellname: Mac Pro

Modell-Identifizierung: MacPro6,1

Prozessortyp: Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5

Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 3,7 GHz

Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1

Gesamtanzahl der Kerne: 4

L2-Cache (pro Kern): 256 KB

L3-Cache: 10 MB

Hyper-Threading Technologie: Aktiviert

Speicher: 64 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a useful additional information:
The thumbnails in the Develop module (bottom row) are very fluid!
But the library module is terrible (not usable).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all that as well, except for moving the images to my SSD (Samsung 970). I'll have to give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed this too. Develop module was more usable but still noticeably slower than 9.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I go back to the old version? V10 is not usable!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give it a try, it’s what made the difference for me. I had tried all of the above before as well with no success.
Seems to me the new version is making a lot more requests to the RAW files than earlier versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When upgrading the catalog LR automatically creates a backup of the "old" catalog. As the upgraded one is not compatible with older versions, you need to find that last backup and open it with the previous version (that you need to reinstall of course, in case you already deleted it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! 
I'm back on V9.4 What a difference!

By the way, I tried your tip regarding SSD. It did not bring any improvement for me. A library with 1200 photos is not manageable in V10.

This is really embarrassing! 

Votes

Translate

Translate