Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Slow UI when using Mac and Custom Display Profile

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since upgrading to Lightroom Classic v10.0, all UI-related functionality is painfully slow. All editing functions are working correctly and quickly but scrolling through the catalogue or even scrolling a side panel is taking many long seconds to refresh. Unreasonably long.

Disabling GPU Accellaration has no affect on my Lightroom's performance.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Please go to Help>System Info… and get us the exact installed version number of your software.

If it's 10.0 or 10.1, please review the diagnostic step in this post to see if this is the issue you are facing: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mac-user-interface-slow-after-upgrading/5f91bbf7917fbb3a9935742e?commentId=5fa06f1e72a09d24e1c2b700 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Greetings All,

Update: 3/15/2021

Updates to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your continued patience.

This thread is tracking issues related to a small group of customers who are seeing issues with very slow UI speed in Lightroom Classic 1

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1001 Replies 1001
1,001 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my RAWs on an external SSD but my only inputs are USB 3 to the iMac.  I will try putting the RAWs on my internal iMac SSD and see if that helps when I get home this evening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this forum https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-10-catalog-size/m-p/11546054?page...

Someone mentioned file sizes. So I looked to see and this is what I found.

I have both LR9.4 and 10 running. 10 is not usable because of the slowness but the upgraded catalog is the same as what I am running on 9.4. Your mention of catalog size got me checking my catalog. Both catalogs stayed at 1.3GB but the Previews file shows a huge difference. 9.4 previews is 21.23GB while the 10 previews is 52.5GB. I wonder if this is part of the problem making 10 so slow it is not usable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, maybe the solution is to delete the previews file (or remove it from the folder) before converting, then let it recreate itself under V.10? In case you don't know, deleting it means when you go to a folder you will, at first, not see your edits while LR Classic churns to create a preview for each image, then they will slowly appear correctly (all your edits are still in the DB).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also experiencing similar issues.  I provided feedback under a different post: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-v10-ui-performance-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Here...

MAJOR slow down in virtually every way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you upgrade from 9 to 10, any change in catalog size is probably not due to a change in previews, since re-rendering the entire catalog would take quite a long time.

I have tested individual folders, and found that re-rendering the previews to 1:1 doesn't improve things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a thought. Only problem is, we have numinous reports of people creating new catalogs and having the same slow down problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called support and they asked me to start a new catalog and import a few images. It didn't fix the issue the library remains laggy and slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk I uninstalled and reinstalled and ran it got real good for a while, but has since slowed down, but near as bad as it was.  Yesterday if I went from Keyword List to Keyword it would take 8 sec, today it was instantaneous  after the reinstall but now it takes 3 secs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also attempted this and it failed. I've gone back to 9.4 and very happy to have the same speed I had before the totally useless 'upgrade' to 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having similar issues. 2017 MBP, 16 GB mem (which is probably not enough), LR catalog on external SSD. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience, the slowdown seems tied to the Zoom level of the Loupe view in Library. Can someone else try this and see if they experience the same thing?

• With zoom 100% or greater, the performance seems normal.
  • But with a zoom below 100%, it takes 3-5 seconds to switch between photos, and the spinning beachball appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I've just updated to LRC 10.0 and the performance has become completely unusable  when my secondary monitor is enabled, performance is smooth with just one displayed enabled within LR.   Specifically the issue is 30 seconds of spinning wheel hanging time every time  I move between photos and making simple slider adjustments. 

Previous to this update, i've always worked with my dual monitor setup with smooth performance.  

My machine specs are  : Mac Pro (Late 2013), 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3, AMD FirePro D700 6 GB.  Macos Mojave 10.14.6   The one of my monitors is 4k.

I'm guessing the problem is coming from a GPU driver issue, though turning off GPU display processing worsened performance.   

So far I've tried:

doubling my camera raw cache size, creating a new smaller library,  a complete uninstall and reinstall or LRC (including the prefs) rebuilding my smart previews

Anyone else experiencing this? Or have any Suggestions?  
Thanks, 
-Jamie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davidmantripp  :-  Can you please provide more details on the slowness issues that you are facing? 

We have tried to compare apply develop presets to 1000+ images to compare the time between 9.3 and 10.0 but it almost took the same time.

Can you share the develop preset that you are applying on the images and if possible, a recorded video would be of great help.

Please share the dropbox/we transfer link and send it to mayugupt@adobe.com

Thanks for reporting. 

Mayuri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unusable is the appropriate term. If I click in the scroll bar (ANY scroll bar) I get a spinning wheel 8-10 seconds.. If I engage a filter in the grid view (i.e. attributes, text, etc..) I could have the wheel for 30+ seconds.. 

EPIC FAIL.

😔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hursey :- Is it possible for you to share the screencast/ video recording of the issue that you are facing?

Thanks for reporting.

Mayuri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy To!

Here you go....

Let me know if I can provide anything additional to assist in resolving this!

Screen Cast

Strangely the spinning wheel shows as a pointer cursor in the movie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here (MBP2020 10th Gen Corei5, 16GB, Catalina, Lightroom V10).

Can you please fix this, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i figured out, that with calibrated monitors on MacOS the library view in Lightroom CC v10 is round a bout 20 times slower, than with monitor profile "apple RGB" chosen. The editing section is fine with the profiles from calibrated monitors.

Herewe have EIZO monitors with color navigator software on catalina. We  can reproduce this behaviour through all Macs in our whole company.

The same behaviour is in Indesign v16 and illustrator v25.  Adobe Photoshop does not have this issue... !

It is awful. we cannot use the Adobe CC anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and need a fix.

Upgraded to LrC 10.0 release with camera raw 13.0

on new Apple Macbook Pro ( 16-in 2019) 2.3GHZ 8-core intel core i9  with MacOs Catalina 10.15.7 with graphics being

AMD  Radeon Pro 5500 4GB, Intel UHD graphics 1536 MB

Machine has 16GB Ram.

Systems: load catalog slow, takes ages to scroll and display.

What is the problem?

Previous version ran very well, I am also very happy with performance using Da Vinci Resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me. spinning wheel all the time, makes almost impossible to work like that. Super frustrating 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a video where i show the effect. It is in german, but you can see which profile i use and which impact the changing of profiles has.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KfUx4-5LONQ" style="max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%;" width="640px"></iframe>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had a support session with Adobe - thanks for investigating!

The expert suggested changing the color profile and it made a night&day difference. I'll continue monitoring in the next days, but this seems to be the culprit at least on my machine.

I uploaded the icc profile that seems to cause this issue here:

https://www.file-upload.net/download-14340298/ColorLCD-99416778-3FF1-3A02-49E3-66F84DD8F04C.icc.html

It was created by Apple and was selected by default on my MacBook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Adobe's solution is for use the abandoned our custom monitor profiles and work in an non icc environment with uncalibrated monitors?  That's a BS solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lewis_kemper It's not the solution. They are debugging the problem. I'm sure they'll resolve this shortly.

Votes

Translate

Translate