Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Slow UI when using Mac and Custom Display Profile

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since upgrading to Lightroom Classic v10.0, all UI-related functionality is painfully slow. All editing functions are working correctly and quickly but scrolling through the catalogue or even scrolling a side panel is taking many long seconds to refresh. Unreasonably long.

Disabling GPU Accellaration has no affect on my Lightroom's performance.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Please go to Help>System Info… and get us the exact installed version number of your software.

If it's 10.0 or 10.1, please review the diagnostic step in this post to see if this is the issue you are facing: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mac-user-interface-slow-after-upgrading/5f91bbf7917fbb3a9935742e?commentId=5fa06f1e72a09d24e1c2b700 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Greetings All,

Update: 3/15/2021

Updates to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your continued patience.

This thread is tracking issues related to a small group of customers who are seeing issues with very slow UI speed in Lightroom Classic 1

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1001 Replies 1001
1,001 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to V10, we cannot work smoothly in Lightroom at all. It takes 3-5 seconds until the photos in the library and in the develop module are loaded with all settings. The scrolling through the thumbnails in the library is awful! Our catalogs have a size of 1000 to 4000 photos, this makes no difference!

We work with several MacPro and had no problems with version 9.4:
MacPro (Mid 2015)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

MacPro (2018)
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Readon Pro 560X 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is working on it. For now either stick with 9.4 or wait for the fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to roll it back with the catalog from 10? And what is with Indesign or Illustrator? and the question is, What the hell is Adobe thinking about publishing such software? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i figured out, that with calibrated monitors on MacOS the library view in Lightroom CC v10 is round a bout 20 times slower, than with monitor profile "apple RGB" chosen. The editing section is fine and run flawlessly  with the profiles from calibrated monitors.

Here we have EIZO monitors with color navigator software on catalina. We  can reproduce this behaviour through all Macs in our whole company.

The same behaviour is in Indesign v16 and illustrator v25.  Adobe Photoshop does not have this issue... !

It does not matter if I build the profile with EIZO Color Navigator or with i1Profiler from XRite (always ICC version v2).

It is awful. we cannot use the Adobe CC anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

517/5000

We hope that a new version will appear soon. Unfortunately we are now working with a 9.4 version on one Mac and with the V10 on the other Mac. The upgrade was carried out automatically (we immediately deactivated the auto update). Since we have already processed some jobs with the new version 10, we unfortunately have to finish them with the V10, which takes a lot of time. We are currently processing new orders again with V9.4, it is extremely difficult at the moment and working is becoming a challenge!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now used 3 different programs for profiling. i1profiler, ColorNavigator and Basiccolor display.
The same result with all of them. The error can be clearly and unmistakably attributed to Adobe. It is a shame for this company to create a broken workflow for its customers.

And btw. it is NOT a problem with the hardware like bill_3305731 mentioned here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a problem with the profiles, not with the hardware. The image rendering in Lightroom (Library module), Indesign and illustrator also is broken. Here you have a youtube vid, which shows the mess. It is in german, but you can see exactly what i am doing and when the image rendering in lightrooms library module slows down:

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KfUx4-5LONQ" style="max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%;" width="640px"></iframe>

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did everyone read about NOT using the calibrated ICC color profile on your monitor, but selecting one of the built-in profiles (like the Apple RGB profile on the Mac?) chico11 says "20 times faster" with V10!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*carlos_cardona Jepp, but this cannot be the answer. Because it is a photo editing programm you need to work with the right colors on your monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course not, but it's the IT guy's fallback: a workaround to get you working (until it gets fixed)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing you may want to try is I uninstalled and reinstalled LR and then built a new monitor profile and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, it was a fresh installation with the standard iMac profile. So, it is not just the profile IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also confirm that switching my monitor color profile to sRGB made it much faster. Pretty much any other color profile made it slow, including my custom calibrated profiles.
Sent my findings to Adobe (a couple of their engineers emailed me)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I find that switching to a default monitor profile (e.g. sRGB IEC61966-2.1 or ) then restarting Lightroom does speed up switching between photos with the Loupe.

However when using my custom monitor profile, I also noticed that the slowdown only happens when the loupe is less than 100% (with switching between photos taking 3-5 seconds each). When the loupe is 100% or more, switching is very quick.

Seeing as v10 added a new feature letting the loupe zoom to any percentage, it makes sense that this may be where the bug is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a relationship between the size of the previews and the speed of switching in loupe view. On my machine (Windows 10, 4K monitors), the following gives essentially instantaneous switching:

• Standard Preview Size: Auto (3840px)
  • Preview Quality: High
  • Automatically Discard 1:1 Previews: Never

If the Loupe size is set to other than 100%, there is a slowdown but it is very slight; perhaps 1/4 second at most. 

My full hardware configuration: 

HP Z440 
Xeon E5-1650 V4 6-core 3.6/4.0 GHz
64GB ECC RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
Nvidia Quadro P2200 5GB (default scaling) 
Dell 27" 4K P2715Q 
Benq 32" 4K PD3200Q 
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB - C-drive
Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 
   -dedicated to Lightroom 
   -Samsung Rapid Mode active 
   -on a PCI-E adapter 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just profiled my monitor using XRite colormunki and it worked. v10 is now working as it should. Just to double check I switched back to a different profile and it went back to being slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding the same thing on an almost identical Mac (MacPro 'trashcan' Late 2013, 6-core, dual D500's, 64gb).  I have 1 DELL 32" 4K monitor (that's my main one) and a DELL 3011 30" - both running on display port.  macOS MOJAVE same as above.

With the 2nd monitor NOT running in LR - performance is fine.  Turning on the 2nd monitor and leaving the grid on the main display and the fullscreen image on the 3011 results in a 10x slowdown (e.g. from virtually instantaneous images switches on the 4K grid to now 2-3 seconds).  Fairly similar if I reduce the window on the 3011 to less than fullscreen and 'window' it.

But if I move the window from the 3011 over to the 4K DELL and run them side-by-side, then I am back to normal performance.  So using the 2nd monitor is a problem.  

For the 2nd monitor, the DELL 3011, I am using a display Profile I built in July using my ColorMunki.....

When I switched that display's profile to generic sRGB IEC61966-2.1 then all performance returned to very acceptance levels .... e.g. virtually instantaneous switch between images in full screen on the 2nd monitor.  Good solution ... sadly, the color is not right on the 2nd monitor.

So, not sure where to go with this ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm another person with a 2017 MacBook Pro who upgraded to V10 only to find the UI slow and the Adjustment brush so slow as to be unusable. 

With a course to teach tomorrow I had to abandon V10 and went back to V9.4 where everything worked perfectly.  I'm running 10.15.6 but as others have said, this release runs perfectly and the path back to 9.4 was painless!

The only other item that this thread makes me think of is that I have two monitors (laptop screen and a BENQ Sw271) although they are used in duplicate mode rather than in extend mode (problems with Zoom otherwise!). Also that both monitors are custom calibrated with an X-Rite I!Pro.

Finally, could Thunderbolt be a common thread here with V10 (external drives, external monitors etc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run a 5.1 MacPro with no Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is not the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. The v10 update has slowed down my editing on a 2019 MacBook Pro with 32 GB RAM. I'm feeling that Adobe should pay more attention to performance and less to some fancy features. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure it is with the construction of the LUT's - since simply changing from one to another on the same 2nd monitor makes a difference ... but why is it a factor at all - what got changed in v10 that makes it dependent on this .... the color grading implementation infrastructure, perhaps ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if it might caused by the new ability to zoom to any percentage, instead of fixed levels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this.  Same issue here.  Have a top-spec iMac, and browsing thumbnails in Library mode used to be swift-quick.  Now each thumbnail takes considerably longer to load.  Curating photo shoots with 1,000+ photos has just doubled in time for me.  

Another reason why I've disabled all future automatic updates.  I wish I could reinstall previous version actually.  No improvement, just more bugs.  Typical Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brad Bahr

Thanks for brining to my attention the fact that you can actually downgrade.  I have gone ahead and downgraded both Lightroom and Photoshop, in which they've removed the line-arrow pixel tool for no good reason.  I've also disabled automatic updates for Lightroom.  A complete disaster.  Adobe takes our subscription money and then releases half-baked software to us like gunea pigs.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's sad to see all the slowness people are seeing on their Macs with V10. I have no doubt it's real. 

I am having no issues at all on my 2019 MBP 16". It would be really fascinating to see what the issue is for some users and not others. 

I have also updated to V10 on my standby Win 10 pc and I see no issues there either.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate