• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Sony Hif Images reading image and writing metadata error

Explorer ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I imported some HEIF images (Camera: Sony Alpha 7 IV) into lightroom. Everything was fine until I opened the develop module. Whenever I did so it first showed a warning that there was an "error writing the metadata" and after deselecting the image the prompt "error reading the image" came up.

Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 15.35.52.pngScreenshot 2023-05-04 at 15.36.03.png

I already tried following: Re-importing the images (directly via Lightroom copying from the SD card to the MacBooks desktop), manually copying the images to desktop folder and then importing. Checking all the privacy settings (accessability  and full disk access), first-aid for the harddrive and restarting both LR and the MacBook. Also LR is running on the latest update. My catalouge is currently running from a 64GB USB Stick (formated for Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) and the images are in a folder on my desktop. So I don’t see a reason why or what is causing this errors.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

I've grabbed the file and see the same result here. I've bugged it to the Classic team. Thanks for the file and the info. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The June 2023 updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
21 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this workflow working previously?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just switched to it because the previous workflow didn’t work. (Cloud based)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay one thing I found out, apperantly this problem with the HEIF images doesn’t occur if I turn of "Automatically write changes into XMP" in the catalouge settings. (Though the already "compromised" images stay that way)

I also tried it with RAW images that are saved within the same subfolder. They don’t get this error either way. So it seems it’s just with the HEIF images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not familiar with the HEIF file type so I am not aware why that would happen. Maybe another user would explain.

The Lightroom Classic option to "Automatically write metadata to XMP" is not the default for Lightroom. I do not use it in my workflow.

See if the article at the link below helps.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/supported-file-formats.html

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

LR will corrupt a .hif from a Sony Alpha 7 IV when it tries to write the file's metadata. To reproduce:

1. Import this .hif:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bz72jd7q2qoq5e/test.2023.05.04.hif?dl=0 

2. Select the imported photo and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File.

3. Observe these errors:

johnrellis_0-1683216667998.png

johnrellis_1-1683216711516.png

4. Open the .hif in Mac OS Preview and observe this error:

johnrellis_2-1683217065308.png

5. Observe that "exiftool -v test.2023.05.04.hif" produces this error message:

Warning = Truncated 'mdat' data (missing 111779 bytes)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, please move this to Bugs. The recipe above shows that LR 12.3 is corrupting .hif files from a Sony Alpha 7 IV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mhorvath, I recommend that you stop using .hif files from your camera (use .jpg instead) until Adobe fixes this file-corruption bug. While avoiding the using of Save Metadata To File and Automatically Write Changes To XMP will avoid the bug, if you accidentally invoke those commands, the file will become corrupted and you'll have to retrieve a copy from backups.

HIF support was added in LR 12.3 and apparently wasn't fully tested. This is one of the very rare instances in which LR corrupts a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've grabbed the file and see the same result here. I've bugged it to the Classic team. Thanks for the file and the info. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, the same problem occurs with an .avif file, which isn't surprising given that .hif and .avif both use the HEIF container format:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/81x4nrskg541ekj/sample-avif.2023.05.04.avif?dl=0

johnrellis_0-1683258253496.png

johnrellis_1-1683258269693.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've added those notes to the bug. Thanks @johnrellis 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis yes apparently I’ll have to do it like this. To bad, I wanted to have the advantage of the small file size and high possibilities to edit of the HEIF images.. well guess I’ll have to switch to JPG again if I want to have more space on my cameras memory and don’t use RAW. 

It’s really a pitty because LRC supports HEIF from iPhones (and Androids) as also stated on their website. But not from Sony cameras (and possibly others)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2023 Jun 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom classic corrupted all my images!!

I have 600 HEIC 10bit 420 images from my A7RV, I imported them to the latest lightroom classic, I made some simple edits (just some rotations) and clicked ctrl+s to save metadata, and then ALL of my images become corrupt! Even windows photo viewer cannot open them!!

Anyway to recover my original photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2023 Jun 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a data recovery tool and saved my photos, now I'm looking for LR alternative for terrible HECI support. Not worth 10$ a month IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More users should be made aware that exporting XMP files has a critical bug that corrupts image files when rewriting metadata.
HEIF may not be the only target.
All formats should be investigated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@yamato7 , What do you mean exporting XMP files? 
Do you mean using the menu option "Save Metadata to file"?

P.S. OK I see that others have confirmed this is a Bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DdeGannes 

There is a difference from the Japanese menu, but that's probably it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also happens to Nikon saved HIF next to NEF with write XMP sidecar enabled on Classic. "File appears unsupported or damaged." "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo." It doesn't appear until making some edits to the HIF or NEF. I believe editing one or both creates some kind of conflict when Lightroom takes the edits in the XMP and tries to apply those edits to the other same-named file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The June 2023 updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, I verified that my bug recipe now shows correct behavior for the sample .hif file.  Rather than trying to write into the .hif file, LR now writes a .xmp sidecar (as it originally did with .heic files, until it learned how to write directly into them).

However, the problem still occurs with the sample .avif file:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-sony-hif-images-reading-image-and-writing-me... 

johnrellis_0-1686721913200.png

Shall I submit a new bug report?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@johnrellis  Let's write up a new report. I talked to the team and they want a separate bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate