Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Special characters in folder locations causing troubles with catalogue

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When trying to synchronize folders, Lightroom Classic treats differently folders having a special character (e.g., an a vowel with an accent).

For example, on the folder "Mickaƫl", all pictures are treated as missing, and need to be removed then reimported. See screenshot below:

Screenshot20210816at12.02.03AM-a17dda3f-7e8f-4d24-be15-28f473506bdf-1890209172.pngScreenshot20210816at12.02.03AM-a17dda3f-7e8f-4d24-be15-28f473506bdf-1890209172.png
Conversely, folders without special characters are treated normally.
Note that this happens on all folders having special characters, which means around 12,000 photos are affected. Needless to say, I am not interested in doing a massive synchronization at this stage because of this problem.

I recently imported my catalogue from Lightroom 6 to Lightroom Classic CC.
My photos are stored on a Synology NAS and mounted as SMB remote folders.

Thanks
Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
4 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you locate the folder in your folder's panel and rename it to a value without special characters - allow a moment and then rename it back to the original name, what happens?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk, rename in the Finder directly, you mean? Surprisingly, even in the folder panel still shows an exclamation mark, using the "Show in Finder" on any picture in the folder works. It means that the folder is correctly recognized, but there's somewhat a bug in the folder panel. So definitely a bug. Can we escalate that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue. Sometimes it fixes the problem when I copy the entire folder to another location, but not always. Renaming the folder is not a good idea in my case, as it leads to a total mess in Lightroom - two folders with similar names but different content (one is empty). Both of them point to the same folder on the disk, so you cannot delete the empty one or rename it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not able to reproduce this behavior in LR 13.2 on Mac or Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate