P: Stealing focus on launch

60 Votes
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When launching Lightroom 6.7 on Windows 7, it can take a little while to initiate and do it's thing (even loading from a fast SSD).

Normally that'd be fine as I just bring other programs to the foreground and continue with other tasks while it loads in the background. However, I count 3 times where Lightroom steals priority from whatever other program I have just to show me the next step in its loading process. Please make it stop or only do it at the very final step?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020
Greetings,   Updates for the Adobe Photography Products were released on 10.20.2020 that include fixes for these issues. Please install the most recent update and confirm that your issue is now fixed. Please let us know if you encounter any issues.   Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
64 Comments
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2019 Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who is going around merging topics into this? Clearly Adobe is aware of the problem. This is telling me they are willingly & knowingly not fixing it.

I guess real bugs don't impair the sales (if you can call it sales these days).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TBH what language a program is written in, is of pretty much least concern to the end-user. No amount of technical explanation will create any goodwill if the problem is irritating enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> while competitors are making progress in this area. I'm not sure that Adobe are aware of this.

Adobe probably also knows that losslessly migrating from Lightroom to another similar tool, is not currently possible. Lossy migration is totally possible - so if you're ok with loosing some edits or adjustments, you can do it, but that's not lossless, and out of the question for many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was interested to learn that PS and Lightroom are written in different languages. Patrick's point is probably that the programming teams differ, and a fix in one app does not help the other. And I had never heard much about LUA. It does seem odd to have chosen a scripting language for a compute-intensive purpose, and it might also explain why the Lightroom UI seems sluggish and a little unpredictable. The LUA calls are probably many layers away from native Windows calls. Perhaps the focus -stealing is a feature of some LUA library, and not directly Adobe's fault, who knows. I wonder what Bridge is written in? I used to use just PS, and only recently decided that it was time to bid farewell to Picasa as a photo organiser and browser. As a new user, I find the ecosystem of these three Adobe apps to be odd in the ways they overlap. I have not used Bridge much because it doesn't have face recognition. But it sounds like it may be faster and lighter than LR. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if the focus stealing is a side-effect of some LUA library, I would still hold Adobe responsible and accountable. They made the software, and they made the choice to use LUA, and whatever 3rd party libraries they imported.

To make an analogy: Dell doesn't produce their own LCD panels, but if one breaks, you would hold Dell responsible. You wouldn't go to Japan Display or Toshiba, the company that produced the panel.

Another one: you purchase a new kitchen and a year later the dishwasher gives in. Where do you go? To the kitchen builder of course! They made the choice to include that particular dishwasher, and they are responsible for the kitchen you paid them for.

Altough from a technical standpoint it might be interesting to know that LR was written in LUA, from a user's point of view I simply don't give a monkey's toss. I'm paying Adobe to make something that works well, not something that is written in some fancypants language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed that Adobe are accountable for writing good programs whatever tools they use. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to give some explanations about the why, I was not trying to excuse Adobe for this issue. However, the LUA choice is not something that can be changed. This implies some annoyances that are much worse than the currently discussed (and relatively minor) annoyance. For example, one could wonder why bugs that are older than 5 or 6 years are still there. There's a good chance that LUA is responsible for this because of the lack of the necessary features allowing effective debugging.

Of course Adobe are responsible for their choices but the users should be aware of what they can reasonably expect. After all these years, I'm now convinced that many of these old or recent annoyances will not be fixed until LR is rewritten from scratch. Which will probably never happen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is VERY annoying. A came here to post a similar complain. There is absolutely no need to steal the focus. Please fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like the newest Lightroom Classic also steals focus after importing photos. It's getting worse!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happening. Ridiculous, fix this infuriating bug Adobe. Been going on for years...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell, Adobe hasn't fixed any bugs from 8x to 9.x. Not a single one. EVERY bug I have encountered in 8.x exists in 9.x.

They must be so proud of their software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happening, a year later. Fix this, Adobe. It can't be that hard, especially now that you've doubled the price of your $10/month Creative Cloud plan. That funding has to be going somewhere, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah its pretty ridiculous it still does this shit

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I stop Lightroom and Photoshop from 'jumping' on top of all my other programs whenever I'm opening them, letting them do something like exporting, or just any damn time that the program is lagging? I 'alt+tab' to something else but I'm constantly fighting the programs to get back to anything else as they move to the front.

I'm using a Dell XPS 15 with everything as good as it can be, all top of the line components and yet the program is still always slow, LR and PS constantly stop me from doing any work anywhere else, even if it's just one of them open and I only have something like an internet browser open. I always maintain having at least 50gb free on my SSD, 16GB RAM, Skylark i7, all of this dedicated to running these programs 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Registered just to say this drives me absolutely insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Win10 system, LR Classic steals focus 3x when starting up and if it's in the foreground and not fullscreen, it will actually lock me out from clicking on the desktop when starting up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's one more frustrated user: I start Lightroom and then lose focus. I tab back to my previous window. Lose focus again. Tab back, because I was doing something there. Lose focus again.. I am now slightly annoyed and I haven't even started work. On the other hand: I start Photoshop, do some work, get a new window in the taskbar when it's ready. Perfect. I look at the Lightroom icon and I'm wondering why one is "different", yet both are made by the same company, hopefully with unified UX standards. I search for possible solutions and find this thread, started 3 years ago.. and now I'm disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 years later, it's even worse than ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how you feel, mate. I'm a multitasker as well. Especially when a program starts slowly, I wanna switch back to that other thing I was doing.

But it gets worse. Yesterday I found a rare occasion where Lightroom would steal back focus all the time, well after it's finished starting up. I just focus my browser, and promptly LR steals back focus. Now *that* is annoying. This appears to happen if you frantically try to "steal back" the focus while starting LR.

It just goes to show how immature LR is, even though it has managed to live through literally dozens of updates over a good number of years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is insane. Hate Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a digression fwiw. One evening, having left my computer on since morning, I noticed in Windows task manager that Chrome had written many gigabytes to my SSD. I do not know if this is still bad for SSDs, but it irked me. After some assiduous web browsing (look for "Issue 40407: Windows 7 Jumplisticon massive performance bug") I learned that Chrome writes the contents of every tab to a local cache for quick recovery in case of a crash. It does this almost continuously, whether the tab has changed or not. The bug was not fixed for seven years. I think part of it is still not fixed. I moved my Chrome cache to a magnetic drive. I occasionally hear it churning away.

The point is that even software companies of high repute have disgusting bugs that they ignore forever. Because you aren't going anywhere. Sure you can switch to Firefox or a LR alternative, but they have their own problems (Firefox has a similar cache, but at least lets you set the poll rate down).

Back when everyone had a big hate on for Microsoft (you may be too young to remember), a lot of us bought their stock as an "emotional hedge". You hate them, but feel better because they make money for you. You could buy Adobe stock! (This is not financial advice.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvote on this. Incredibly frustrating that 1 program in the same suite of Adobe products doesn't have the same start-up / boot behavior as the rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom takes about 15 seconds to load up on my computer. Because I fully expect Lightroom to take its time to load up, I like to browse the internet or do other things while it loads. However, Lightroom will constantly steal the focus away from my active programs every time I switch back to the other program. Please allow Lightroom to open up silently in the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All these years later, on a lighting fast Windows 10 machine with 32GB RAM and exclusively solid-state media, and it's still about as big an issue as ever.

I can only hope it's just not possible to fix and that's why it's been left unaddressed. But if that's the case, at least tell us that, Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah but to be fair, they haven't had time to deal with this issue because they committed so many people to utterly bollocksing up the menus and general work flow of innocent unsuspecting users of ACR 12.3 in Bridge 10.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate