Exit

P: Tethering from Canon cameras doesn't work on macOS Catalina 10.15.2

LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,
and Photoshop staff
I have a big problem since the new catalina 10.15.2.0 i can't use the tethered mode. Lightroom don't see my canon 5D Mark III. Could you fix the problem ? Thank you. I uste the new macbookpro 16.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Greetings,

Updates to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web, were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020
With the release of Apple's OS 10.15.3, tethering issues for Lightroom Classic 9.1 should be resolved. Please give it a try and let us know if you continue to have issues after updating to 10.15.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate
85 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I'm still facing this issue with 10.15.3  

EOS Utility not installed 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roberta, Can you please help us with logs by doing following:

1. Press the ALT key while the Tether bar is displayed.
  2. Select the second Settings icon appears.
  3. Select Enable Logging.
  4. Connect camera and wait for 3-5 minutes
  5. check Documents folder in home directory , there will be one Classic logs folder , please share that with us. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I will do. I have since bought a new camera as I tried my Canon 5D Mark II on my old iMac and that didn’t recognise it either so I then assumed it was a connector issue. Annoyingly though the same issue is now happening with my EOS R so I’m back to thinking it’s a software issue again. I will do this and comment back asap

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes me too. I have even bought a new camera as I was due to upgrade and had started to think it was a connector issue but I am still experiencing this issue with 10.15.3. I called Canon and they said they are aware of other people having issues with this version too and that the only way around it is to tether via WIFi rather than a physical cable. This has been working for me but it’s obviously slowing me down a bit. Does your camera have WIFi? If not a transmitter might be the best way forward..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THERE IS A WORKAROUND if the OS update doesn't help:

Hi all- I wrote this on an apple forum back in December (2020) after purchasing a new MacBook Pro 16". 
I found a possible work around today. At least it works fine with Nikon Camera control Pro 2. I'm pretty sure it will work with Capture One & Lightroom as well.

My 2011-17” MacBook Pro died a couple weeks ago. Time for an upgrade. Got the new MacBook Pro 16”. With Catalina - no choice. 

Wanted to run some older software for business, needed no higher than Sierra- OS 10.12.6. Bought Parallels Desktop to install legacy OS. 

Unfortunately had trouble running the installers, got hung up about 2% from done. It may be a hardware issue because the  people at Parallels tech support did tests on their machines running Catalina and they were able to install OS 10.12.6 fine. My guess they’re running Catalina on the last 2019 - 15” MBP. 

BUT- while waiting for the new laptop to arrive, we did a test with the trial version of Parallels v15, and created a working Sierra VM  then today we just copied that file-22gb- to the new 16”  and Parallels opened that file immediately no problem  

1 problem down. Then copied in Filemaker and the files  they work. Cool  now I’ve got my invoices and equipment and software databases. And yesterday my copy of MS Office 2011 to.

Then- Nikon Camera Control and NikonView. Will they work????

YES! They work, my D850 connects and opens in NV, AND... I was able to choose the destination on my host drive- outside of the Virtual Machine, or onto an external drive if I want  

I even shot rapid fire at least 20 frames and all loaded quickly , no crashes  I am really pleased...

Now I've not had a chance to really work in Catalina with Photoshop & Lightroom for anything real, just enough to see that it basically works. I suppose if it really has issues I could put them in the  VM too, but hope not to. More Testing to follow  .

YOU WILL PROBABLY NEED TO INSTALL LIGHTROOM ON THE VM FOR THIS TO WORK if Lightroom is what you tether with - or any software you want to use. 

If you do install Virtual Machine this way, don’t forget to install the Parallels Toolbox into the new VM which will allow you to get full screen resolution. If you don’t you’ll only have 1024x769 for the VM window  

Hope this helps all of you  

I have now used Nikon Camera Control 2 successfully on a number of shoots tethered to my Nikon D850, and had setup a destination folder outside of the VM, in my "Pictures" folder on the Catalina drive.

This way if something went wrong with the VM, the files already captured were stored on the regular drive, as well as in camera. But not everyone's camera will save files to both Camera and PC - so this is a good idea anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Roberta Ashley,
After connecting the camera, when you open the Import window, do you see the camera in the Device section?

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it doesn’t come up at all so I can’t even directly import from the camera using a cable. I can only do this via WiFi

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Var i kontakt med adobe för att förstå varför min Canon 5d mark III inte fick kontakt med Lightroom. Har kört "direktfångst" i lightroom tillsammans med den här kameran tidigare utan problem. Testade även min Canon dsr, samma sak där. Har Mac Os Catalina version 10.15.4.
Adobe gav till svar att det var ett systemfel och att deras team jobbade på det.
Någon kunnig som vet vad man kan göra?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the problem persists?
If Import window doesn't detect the camera, it can be a cable issue.

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Greetings,

Updates to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web, were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate