Exit

P: Tethering from Canon cameras doesn't work on macOS Catalina 10.15.2

LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,
and Photoshop staff
I have a big problem since the new catalina 10.15.2.0 i can't use the tethered mode. Lightroom don't see my canon 5D Mark III. Could you fix the problem ? Thank you. I uste the new macbookpro 16.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Greetings,

Updates to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web, were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020
With the release of Apple's OS 10.15.3, tethering issues for Lightroom Classic 9.1 should be resolved. Please give it a try and let us know if you continue to have issues after updating to 10.15.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate
85 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat. New Macbook so I was dealing with a lot of software installs/updates and managed to update the OS in the meantime. Lost all tethering capability immediately. Reached out to CaptureOne, got a response after they released their update with what would hopefully be the solve, but still can't connect (5D MkIV). Got a reply from CO, but it's just your standard "check hardware" troubleshooting, which obviously isn't the issue. Seems this is definitely an OS issue, I luckily have an old machine that's functional, and not running Catalina, so I'm covered, but super frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tethering with LR with my macbook is catastrophic. And it has Mojave, not Catalina. Recently I tried to tether with may desktop machine, which has High Sierra on, and wow, there is now problem at all!! I remembered, that previously I didn't have any problem with my macbook either, but since upgraded to Mojave, issues just started.
So, it's not just Catalina, Mojave also very problematic, when LR tethering is on. It seems, that the problem is more complicated... Canon, Adobe, Apple...:-D 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thaks for the comments. I'll take it for "months" ;-(

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for bringing a solution to a problem. Looks interesting. I'll give it a try 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had several large portrait jobs in the last two weeks and tethered the pictures onto the Mac without any problems. I did not tether directly to LR but via EOS utlilty and 'automatic import'.

Procedure: (equipment and software used)
1. connect camera (5D4) via WiFi to MacBookPro (16" - late 2019 - MacOS 10.15.2)
2. start EOS utility and configure it to save in a folder 'to_import'
3. set up 'automatic import' in Lightroom Classic (9.1) to import from this folder
4. ready

When the camera goes to sleep, the connection is terminated as it is when I change the camera battery. The connection is unrecoverable.
However, I was able to restore the connection reliably when I completely reestablished the WiFi connection from the camera. With a little practice, this can be done in half a minute.

I hope this helps somebody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using MAC Pro and Catalina 10.15.2 In Lightroom Classic 9.1 when I go to Tethered Capture the program can not find my camera Cannon D5 Mark III.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so is there a solution now or should we switch all to capture one !!??!!Sorry guys...this is a mess !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi guys
i noticed the issue this morning during a pro shooting.
I did an other tethered capture last december when I already had my new macbook pro with Catalina 10.15.2 and it worked
So I reach the conclusion that it is probably an Adobe update installed this month.
This is unacceptable.
Does the people from Adobe know that we do professionnal activity with they products ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see Victoria and Sunil's comments above. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They issue updates without checking that everything works correctly
This is not professionnal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is no surprise that Apple does not test every single piece of software in every single way to see whether it works. This is not Adobe's issue. As you can see above Apple is fixing it in the (currently beta) 10.15.3 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that 10.15.3 Official release is now out.  I am still on Mojave but I was wondering if the 10.15.3 has fixed this issue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple has extensive beta testing program for each new release. Apple cannot test all third party software. They count on vendors to participate in the beta release program and catch bugs early in process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats not what I asked.  Tether for Canon supposedly worked on 10.15.1 and broke on 10.15.2.   Apple even broke Tether using their own Image Capture in 10.15.2 for Canon so they could have tested that.  I was asking if anyone has tried the not-beta just released 10.15.3 with tether and Canon in Lr or even Apples own Image Capture. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed 10.15.3 official release and it is working again in LR for me. Canon 5D IV. Thank God! Never updating again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a bunch David for the info.  I assume you are using Lr9.1.  If so I may finally jump in for the Catalina upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tether with Canon cameras are working on MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 / Lightroom Classic 9.1.
Please let us know if you find any issues. 

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the release of Apple's OS 10.15.3, tethering issues for Lightroom Classic 9.1 should be resolved. Please give it a try and let us know if you continue to have issues after updating to 10.15.3.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR won't tether since I upgraded to OS 10:15:2 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must update to Catalina 15.3. That update was released today.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The upgrade to OS 10.15.3 did not solve the issue - Canon camera still not recognised by Lightroom. Serious problem - time to move over to Capture One pro I think

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrade to OS 10.15.3 has solved the tethering problem for me. I had to try a couple of times before things settled down now it recognises EOS R and 1Dx every time. Pity this wasn't spotted before the OS 10.15.2 was released. At least it's resolved for me now - sorry that Andrew Porter still has problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that Canon EOS Utility does not start when you connect the camera.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate