Exit

P: Tethering from Canon cameras doesn't work on macOS Catalina 10.15.2

LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,
and Photoshop staff
I have a big problem since the new catalina 10.15.2.0 i can't use the tethered mode. Lightroom don't see my canon 5D Mark III. Could you fix the problem ? Thank you. I uste the new macbookpro 16.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Greetings,

Updates to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web, were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020
With the release of Apple's OS 10.15.3, tethering issues for Lightroom Classic 9.1 should be resolved. Please give it a try and let us know if you continue to have issues after updating to 10.15.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate
85 Comments
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but still not working, have latest firmware on Canon 5d Mark iv, Mac OS 10.15.3 and Lightroom 9.1 - everything updated. Have restarted both the computer and Lightroom several times and also turned off Canon EOS utility so it doesn't open when connecting and still tethered capture doesn't recognise. When I try to do direct import of files it sees the camera but says no photos are on the camera. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks just made general reply - still not working for some reason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk, this has not solved this issue for me. See my comment - everything updated, etc and still not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a test can you tether with EOS Utility or Apple Image Capture?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EOS Utility works fine. Tether in Lightroom does not even recognise my Canon camera. What is strange is that I can't even directly import photos from my camera, it seems to recognise my camera as a drive but says there are no photos on there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry forgot to add Apple Image Capture also works - allows me to import from my 5D mark iv

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm tethering with canon EOS 5Dsr working with Lightroom and MacOS 10.15.3 - finally

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In some scenarios, a permission issue can happen. That shouldn't be the case with Canon tethering. Nevertheless, could you please check if Lightroom Classic has all required permissions?
  1. Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy.
  2. In the Privacy tab, select Security.
  3. Ensure that Lightroom Classic has permission assigned to Photos, Full Disk Access, and Files and Folders.
  4. Restart Lightroom Classic.
Do you see the Tether bar? Or is it just the Detecting Camera window?

If you see Tether bar, please enable logging:

1. Press the ALT key while the Tether bar is displayed.
  2. Select the second Settings icon appears.
  3. Select Enable Logging.

This should create some logs in the Documents/LrClassicLogs folder.
I will contact you off list to get the logs.

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, Thanks I have done all this but still no tethering. No camera recognised in tethering bar - just apple spinning wheel. I have tried with both my Canon 5d Mark iv and Mark iii cameras - both dont work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I contact Adobe support again - I have done this several times and they just say I have to wait until Lightroom releases an update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgarde to macos 10.15.3 - tethering working again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done the update to 10.15.3 and tethered works again
Thanks everyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Andrew Porter:

Have you:

Reset the Preferences file?
Performed a clean reinstall of Lightroom Classic?
Been through the troubleshooting tips at this document? https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-tethered-capture-lightroom.html

Many users are reporting fixed by the recent Mac OS update.  I am guessing you may have a different or additional issue that is preventing tethering from working. 

Did it ever work for you before?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk
Thanks for the advice. I have done all this. Uninstalled and re-installed Lightroom. Tried both my cameras, different leads, enabled logging in tethered preferences but still no luck? Yes before I installed Catalina tethered capture had worked for years on this Mac and with these cameras - I'm a professional so have used it regularly for many years. My camera and lead works fine with EOS Utility so it's not the camera or lead. I'm not sure what else to do other than go for Capture One since I really need to shoot tethered again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not an ideal workaround, but can you use EOS Utility to shoot into a watched folder, then get Lightroom to import from the watched folder. I remember doing this years ago when Lightroom hadn't yet updated for my latest body.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the Lightroom Clean Install Procedure with the current version:
  • Close Lightroom
  • Restart the computer
  • Use the Adobe Creative Cloud App to uninstall Lightroom Classic
  • Restart the computer
  • Install Lightroom Classic via the Creative Cloud App without launching any other programs.
  • Restart the computer
  • Launch Lightroom
  • Wait 5 minutes
A Preference File will survive a Lightroom uninstall/reinstall. Sometimes weird behavior is corrected/cured by resetting the preferences.

Reset Procedure:
1. Close Lightroom.
2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.
3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.
4. Close Lightroom.
5. Restart Lightroom.
Does the tether issue continue after resetting the preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Rikk, Ok that didn't work but I have another user account on this computer and weirdly tethered capture works when I login to this user account and use Lightroom. I cannot figure out what the issue is since I re-installed, reset preferences and both accounts allow full disk access to Lightroom, etc. Before the upgrade to Catalina I never used this other account for Lightroom but looks like I will have to start using it if I want tethered capture. Really odd. Thanks for your help anyway. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is pretty far down my checklist but a corrupt user account occasionally surfaces. It was a good idea to try a different user account. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, when I worked for Apple, that was one of our standard troubleshooting tricks. Always worth trying if an answer isn't otherwise obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been waiting for so long for this update to solve this problem, and yet it's still not detecting my 5D MkIV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problems. Yesterday I updated to Catalina 10.15.3. so i am on the most recent OS. Lightroom Classic 9.1 does not detect my Canon 1DS III. I Tried several times, but nothing happened.  I downloaded a trial of Capture One 20 two weeks ago. Works fine on 10.15.3 and also under 10.15.2. So, I am sure moving to Capture One. It is another price tag, but no choice in the end. Lightroom update takes too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk, I don't think the user account is corrupt since EOS utility, Apple Capture and Capture One all work fine on this account. It must be some odd permissions/preferences thing related to Lightroom on this account perhaps - however I cannot work it out since I've reset all preferences, ensured Lightroom has full disc access etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I have also started experiencing this issue since upgrading my MacBook Air to Catalina 10.15.3 yesterday. Tethered capture has stopped working from my Canon 5D Mark ii through EOS Utility 2.0 and Lightroom does not recognise my camera to enable me to import through that directly. I have read here and elsewhere that this upgrade is resolving the issue for a lot of people but mine was fine until I upgraded yesterday! I can't seem to find Lightroom under system preferences to check if it's a permission issue. I'd be grateful for any thoughts on why not as I'm really stuck without this technology right now! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.15.3 should be ok I thought. Hmm. Try logging out your Dropbox app if you have one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I'm still facing this issue with 10.15.3  

Votes

Translate

Translate