Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Unable to enter CR/LF when entering photo metadata caption text

LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2011 Jun 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom 3.4.1, 64bit on Windows 7

I really want to be able to enter CR/LF when entering photo metadata caption text. This works and displays fine in Lightroom when entered using Ctrl/Enter, and is recorded correctly in the photo file or xmp sidecar as " & # x A ; ".
The problem is that if this data is ever re-read from the xmp sidecar or embedded data, Lightroom no longer displays the CR/LF, so for example:
Line1
Line2
gets displayed as:
Line1Line2

The " & # x A ; " must still be in the data, it is just ignored. In fact, if a CL/LF is again entered, it displays in Lightroom's Caption box, but gets doubled in the data files. So "Line1 & # x A ; Line2" gets re-written as "Line1 & # x A ; & # x A ; Line2" in the sidecar.

I've got thousands of files like this, so this is a real big problem for me in Lightroom. It would be nice if CR/LF in captions would be displayed in other Lightroom features like slideshows, but that would be more a feature. The improper display of " & # x A ; " in the caption field is for me an egregious bug that has existed in all versions of Lightroom I have used. Photoshop and other software I use display, save, and read newlines correctly.

(Added spaces around the CF/LF code so that it will display in this editor, hopefully)

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012
This appears to be fixed in LR 4 beta (hurray).

Votes

Translate

Translate
10 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl-J on Windows; Option-Return on Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported this a year ago, both to the old Lightroom Feature Requests forum and with the old bug/feedback submission form:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2929592

Seems like a pretty elementary bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2011 Jun 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've seen numerous posts about this same problem, I think even going back to 1.x Lightroom versions. I just find it so frustrating that this obvious bug, that without nowing better seems like it should be so easy to fix, never gets solved. Adobe must be aware of it, seems something about it must affect their code at a fundamental level and cause havoc, or they'd have done something by now. Either that or almost nobody actually uses lightroom to caption their images, so Adobe doesn't bother with a fix.

Oh well, just had to bring this up again in frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2011 Jun 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Geoffrey, I've entered this issue in our bug database.

As a side note, the bug seems to be Windows-only (doesn't happen on the Mac), so I can think of a work around for you... ;-)

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2011 Jun 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben

Amusing enough, but can you imagine how loudly Mac users would whine if you'd made the same suggestion to them?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that , if you have metadata with a new line that was added in a different software, by hitting the ENTER key then the file metadat seems to always be out of sync, very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2011 Dec 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my recent post in this topic for a clumsy workaround to get LR to believe that the metadata in the file is up-to-date:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be fixed in LR 4 beta (hurray).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been entering text data with new lines with the expectation that the bug would eventually be fixed. Indeed, the text displays properly in the library and other modules now when my existing images are imported into LR4-B.
Looking forward to the full release!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Not very much at all? That's my guess.

Votes

Translate