• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Upright not working with RAW D800, does work with same pictures as tiff

LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using RAW files from my nikon d800, in combination with nikon f2.8 14-24mm lens, upright results are completely wrong and random. when using the same setup but shooting in TIFF, 99% of upright goes perfectly. Using 24-70mm lens upright does work ok in RAW

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since the latest upgrade to LR CC Classic (that name...shudder), the upright controls don't work so well, especially with my Fuji X-series files (XT2 and XPro2). They used to work fine, automatically straightening lines. The results are inconsistent and mostly incorrect most of the time now.

Why am I paying to beta-test your software, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally had a chance to look at this again using the above posted IMG_0168.CR2 file shot with Canon 16-35mm F4L IS lens. It appears the issue was caused when assigning the new v2 lens profile Adobe made available for this lens that fixes over-correction of distortion. I forgot that the Transform panel 'Update' needed to be clicked to apply the updated lens profile. It appears to be a sticky setting that can get get out of sync. You can test if his is the cause by unchecking 'Enable Lens Profile Corrections' in the Lens Corrections panel, apply 'Auto' or 'Full' Upright, and then click on 'Update.' If the image Transform now looks good then you have this issue. To fix it simply click on the 'Update' button in the Transform panel upper right-hand corner.

I forgot to add that you will also need to click on the Transform panel 'Update' button if the Lens Profile 'Distortion' slider is changed from its default setting, which is normally 100 unless you changed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, from Eric Chan, lead engineer on Camera Raw: 

In an ideal world, raws and corresponding TIFFs (or other derived files) would behave identically with respect to Upright. However, Upright (being an automatic method, similar to Auto Tone, Auto WB, etc.) is very sensitive to the exact pixel values of the image, and the pixel values of raws are always going to be different from the pixel values of a non-raw format such as a TIFF/JPEG. Thus, Upright results between the two may be different – sometimes only subtly different, sometimes more dramatically different.

This is a design limitation (of all automatic methods, including Upright) for which I do not know of any solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've sent your file to engineering to investigate CR-4197318

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, I can confirm the issue. It appears to be due to changes made when the Guided Upright feature was added. Clearly there is some thing wrong with the raw file upright Transform processing since a TIFF export file of the same image file does not exhibit this issue.

In the below example 'Full' Upright mode was used and causing diverging verticals in the first example and converging verticals in the 2nd example. The 'Vertical' mode produces similar results so that appears to be the cause. There have been numerous complaints concerning this issue:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/9111380#9111380

https://forums.adobe.com/message/8982335#8982335

https://forums.adobe.com/message/8515520#8515520

For now the best suggestion is to use the Guided Upright tool as outlined here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/how-to/perspective-correction-guided-upright.html

Both shot with Canon 16-35mm F4 IS at 16mm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maurits, could you post a raw file along with a sidecar of your settings so we can investigate? (use Dropbox or Creative Cloud to share the URL)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's an example file i have problems with.
https://we.tl/xBNwbZgnnc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Added your file to the issue record for the engineers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am having the same issue  Nikon D800 raw files.   I shoot at a specific indoor location 3 times a year.   For the last 4 years I shot with the same D800 camera and in post I upright all my pics using upright mode and sync Now, none of the upright modes work even when I hit them manually.  Not sure what they are even doing to be honest.  It's broken. It's a BUG!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  Eric Chan,

Thanks for your explanation but I am afraid it is nonsense.  When the feature works for years and then stops working it is because you guys changed something and didn't have a unit test set up to catch unintended consequences.  In other words this is a new bug.   In this thread you have two people using the same older Camera model experiencing the exact same problem. We know it's a bug. The upright modes worked for years and now they don't.  This IS a BUG, and there is no workaround.  Please roll back to the previous code asap until you figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’ve posted to an ancient thread. It is highly unlikely that the issue described in this thread, though not impossible, is the same one you are currently experiencing. Rather than resurrect an old thread that is seemingly similar, you are better off posting to a new thread with fresh, complete information, including system information, a complete description of the problem, and step-by-step instructions for reproduction. 

If the issue is the same, we will merge you back into the appropriate location. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines