• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Video capture time shifted by time zone offset

LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got a 5D IV and just noticed that capture times on video files shows 5 hours ahead in Lightroom (photos are fine). This causes videos taken late in the day to be imported into the folder for the next day. I'm running the latest Lightroom (6.10) and 5D Firmware (1.04). I checked my old 5D Mark III videos and they are fine. 

I suspect Lightroom ins't picking up the timezone info and is using UTC time.  Is this a bug?

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

ExifTool shows all the dates in the video as 2017:11:25 21:11:01 (9:11 pm 11/25/17).  Clearly the video was taken during the day (great dog!) -- assuming you're in PST (UTC - 8), you took it at 1:11 pm?

It looks like the Samsung/Android software strictly obeyed the spec and recorded the capture date in UTC. And there is no time zone or indication of local time recorded in non-standard fields in the video.   
There are (at least) a few ways that Adobe could improve this situation (caused by Apple

Votes

Translate

Translate
70 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this post for the mess with industry standards that's the underlying cause:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/canon-5d-mark-iv-video-capture-time-incorrect...

Adobe recognizes the iPhone in particular and handles it specially. It could do the same for other camera models, but it requires LR to read camera-specific metadata, and Adobe appears to have a very conservative legal approach to manufacturer-specific metadata, requiring legal agreements before incorporating such metadata in Adobe products. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone. I just noticed that all my imported .mov movies from my new Z50, have a wrong capture time. The capture time of all my videos is exactly 1h behind. E.g. 01:23:14 PM instead 02:23:14 PM. The time zone and time settings in my Z50 are ok. Date, time and time zone are correct. Summer time is on.

If I check the time directly on the back of my Z50 or on the SD card with ViewNX from Nikon, the capture time is correct.

It seems that Lightroom has an issue with the capture time of videos from the Nikon Z50.

Can anyone reproduce this with his/her Z50?

Thanks a lot 🙂
It's quite annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a hunch, but  your camera might be in a different timezone, or has "wrong" daylight saving settings.

Oups, just read the whole thing. Fell into the headline reading trap. Sorry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

same here. Capture time of Raw images is correct but for movies 2h ahead, e.g. 8:42 instead of 10:42.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Nikon's software show the correct time or is it also shifted by two hours?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea. But on the camera display, it is shown correctly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Deleted User

If I check the time directly on the back of my Z50 or on the SD card with ViewNX from Nikon, the capture time is correct.

@John_R_Ellis

Not sure if I get this correct. We have to deal with it because Nikon does not follow a mp4 standard? Just did a test with both video formats I can switch between. mov and mp4. Same issue in LR with both. 

All is fine as usual with Nikon SW, just LR does not show the time correct anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did another test by setting the time zone in my z50 to UTC 0. Same result. Video (.mov or .mp4) are -1 hour compared to a raw file captured a few seconds after the video.

I don't get it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"We have to deal with it because Nikon does not follow a mp4 standard?"

It's more complicated -- it appears that Nikon is following the standard,  whereas most cameras don't. Details:

The QuickTime standard, which was poorly written, calls for capture time to be recorded in UTC and doesn't provide a standard field to record time zone. But cameras without GPS often don't know the time zone, so most such cameras record local time (whatever the camera clock is set to).  Given that reality, by default LR interprets the capture time as recorded in local time (contrary to the standard).

But some cameras, especially smart phones with GPS, know their time zone, and they record UTC in the capture-time field (obeying the de jure standard) and record the time zone in a manufacturer-specific field. It would be straightforward for LR to read those manufacturer-specific fields (it does it for raws, after all). 

However, comments in this forum by Adobe employees indicate that Adobe considers such fields "proprietary" and won't access them without contractual permission from the manufacturers.  Getting such permission is tedious, time consuming, and expensive, since it involves the legal departments of multiple large companies. It appears that this hasn't become a priority for Adobe or the camera manufacturers.

Adobe did get permission for Apple iPhones, and thus LR reads the capture time correctly for iPhone videos. An Adobe employee indicated they'd do it for Canon cameras, but I'm not sure that was ever completed.

It sounds like the Nikon Z 50 is following the standard and recording UTC time in the capture-time field and may be recording the time zone in another field. But since Adobe likely hasn't made a special exception for the cameras (as they have for iPhones) and obtained contractual permission from Nikon, LR is interpreting that UTC field as local time.

This issue doesn't arise with photos, since every manufacturer interpreted the EXIF standard to mean that local time should be recorded in the standard field EXIF:DateTimeOriginal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John_R_Ellis

Thank you so much. I appreciate that you took the time to explain this topic/issue in such detail.  So I will probably have to get used to correct the recording time in LR manually by +/-x hours. At least, now I know the reason 🙂 Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can hope that this becomes a higher priority for the LR team as more popular cameras start obeying the QuickTime standard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be great. Let's hope...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incredible: this is a 5 year old bug!! And Adobe does not care!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• When importing photos with LR-classic the capture time is correct, of course. Even the in camera rating of photos is imported into Lightroom Classic.
  • When importing videos with LR-classic the capture time is wrong (- 2 hours)! Furthermore the in camera rating of videos is not imported into Lightroom Classic.
    These simple metadata import problems are reproducible with MP4-videos shot with Nikon Z7. Maybe this is related to specific camera models.

Lightroom Classic Version 10.0

Nikon Z7 Firmware Version 3.12

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martin, see this reply above for what's going on: 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-video-capture-time-... 

Re the in-camera star ratings, please post that as a separate thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The time stamp on my .mov files from my Nikon Z6 ii are being rewritten upon import, I assume to match UTC 0. I have looked in forums and it seems the easiest thing to do is just change my camera's time zone to London. I don't really need help since I don't collaborate across time zones, but I hope this will be addressed in future updates. Metadata of video and photo files are accurate in the camera  and then upon upload, photos retain accurate metadata and videos are converted to London time (from LA time). This means they are not synched up and often in the following day's folder with the major time difference. It also means they are not synched with my other camera files which makes creating a chronological timeline difficult. In my mac's Finder, it seems they are timestamped with the correct metadata (date modified). It is only in Lightroom that this seems to be an issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is caused by a poorly written Quicktime specification, which requires that capture times be recorded in UTC but doesn't provide a standard location for recording time zone.  See here for details why LR interacts badly with this:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-video-capture-time-... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

updating status

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still experiencing the same bug in Lightroom Classic v11.1 today with .MP4 video files shot yesterday on my Nikon Z5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing the same time zone offset problem when importing photos from a Sony RX100VII camera.  I am using Lightroom 11.2 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max with MacOS Monterey 12.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just switched to importing all the videos into photos app on my Mac. It somehow manages to keep the correct time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short: video assets are approx 4 hrs offset from actual time in LR Classic. Issue persists with multiple cameras and on multiple computers. Issue does not affect photos, only video. 

The long: I noticed in the last few months that video files have been ending up at the tail end of each days collection when they should be mixed in with the photos. Then I noticed the timestamps were wrong -- about 4 or so hours off. Not exactly 4 hrs but wondering if the length of the clip may account for that since they're about 3 or 4 minutes off from being exactly 4 hrs with 3 or 4 minute length clips. About 4 hrs 1 minute off for 30 second clips, etc. 

I noticed this issue persists with multiple cameras, including my iphone and in LR Classic on my Mac Studio and MBP.

See attached images for LR timestamp vs. the correct timestamp shown in Finder. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated since this is leading to other issues!

Votes

Translate

Translate