P: Videos do not play or import macOS High Sierra

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
67 Comments
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem has similar symptoms but appears independent if Camera type or codec. I do have thumbnails. Sometimes the problem is resolved by restarting and sometimes not. Sometimes I can view 2-3 photos , sometimes 20 or more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Matej -- I am suspecting that these all issues have to do with Permission setting on your system. Can you please issue "sudo chmod 755 /Users/mtj/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Catalog-2 Previews.lrdata" through terminal. Basically please check for where file/folder read denial is happening. Then give permission to respective folder. Thereafter please check if Import for Video works or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response Reetesh,
How should the permission look like? Who should have permission to do what?
When I look in info window in finder, I as user have read-write permissions on all folders and files on this path.

This catalog is you are pointing at is actully an old catalog from previous LR.

Anyway I tried to open LRCCC, found sandboxed preview file, run that sudo command on it but nothing has changed. After opening LR again sandbox comes again.

As I say, I'm not a programmer so I may be misunderstanding something.
Here is the log from that activity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/209i6jtsfnch6ar/LR-test2.txt?dl=0

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Matej -- for more investigation I will send an email to you, however before that, can you try opening Mac in Safe Mode, and do Video Import. Looks like mdworker is facing some issue. Please try to reboot your system in Safe Mode. http://jaybarn.es/docs/osx_error_fix/ -- this link have some instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did boot into safe mode, but was not able to import or preview video in LR
here is unfiltered log
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc2jt9n4zlp2678/LR-test3-safeMode.txt?dl=0

Restarted again without safe mode and nothing has changed
unfiltered log is here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9agvhdr06pbda0g/LR-test4-restartAfterSafeMode.txt?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Matej -- I will mail you regarding this issue. Seems there is some issue with permissions on your system, this looks like OS specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This continues to be a ongoing issues with Lightroom 7.1.   I have not seen any resolution to this issue.   Lightroom 5 and 6 work fine with Mac OSX High Sierra.    I have tried every suggestion I have seen on this forum.  The only partial short term remedy seems to be Force Quit Lightroom and then it works for a short bit and then starts to fail again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I went from Yosemite & Lightroom 5 to High Sierra & Lightroom Classic CC. Pictures works fine. Videos that aren't MTS (AVCHD) works well too. As for MTS video the thumbnail is gone and shows exclamation mark to its side. When clicked the message "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this video" appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I went from Yosemite & Lightroom 5 to High Sierra & Lightroom Classic CC. Pictures works fine. Videos that aren't MTS (AVCHD) works well too. As for MTS video the thumbnail is gone and shows exclamation mark to its side. When clicked the message "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this video" appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem on Mac high Sierra. No import of Videofilm in LR classics  (Pics work fine) and also in Bridge no videos shown - Message: Das Herstellen einer Verbindung zu Dynamic Link-Server ist fehlgeschlagen.
how to re-connect to the Dynamic Link-Server and get this fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deinstall ALL adobe files, run adobe cleaner, delete ALL adobe files even in library's, computer restart, download and install Creative cloud, install apps - 
everything works fine again.

waiting for the next bug ;-))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that in the past with no luck.   I thought the problem was resolved but it returned.    Seems randon on what videos it likes and does not like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately not working on my computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would it be possible to have the issue result public so we can use your help too? thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2017 Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope this could help! Still can't view previously imported videos - BUT - I can now import and view  imported videos!

I believe the trouble is linked to Quicktime components and access to them.

My first hint was that I could only view MTS file through VLC  but not open them with Quicktime player anymore. I had Perian components installed since years in my computer and this before installing High Sierra OS.
I am not sure if Perian was the cause but in case I disabled Perian via System Preferences/Perian/Uninstall

I went to https://xiph.org/quicktime/download.html and installed components xiph-qt-0.1.9

I could then open MTS (AVCHD) videos again with QuicktimePlayer X.

I restarted my computer, opened LIghtroom Classic CC. I could import new videos, thumbnails are visible again and I could read the video files inside Lightroom Classic CC.

My pre-imported videos still are unreadable. I re-imported one of the unreadable videos inside Lightroom Classic and THEN the video worked.

I still didn't find the solution for past imported videos not having to re-import a huge number of files inside LR Classic...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This continues to be an issue in Lightroom Classic CC.   Any real response from Adobe on this issue.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still waiting to get some feedback on this issue?   Seems to be a continuing issue with many and little to no feedback or resolution.   Yes some short term work arounds have been posted.  They seem short term as the problem returns with the next Lightroom update or bug:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, lightroom cc 7.2, so maddening. Months have passed and still not able to play videos. Import works fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add a few more details - High Sierra 10.13.3 on iMac 2017 (but had the same issue with Sierra before upgrade on a different machine). For videos, in the library module, I see a grey spaceholder instead of video, and video controls do not respond. Lightroom CC (not classic) on a different machine (same cloud synced videos) plays the video just fine. This is for all videos created with different cameras. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.   No real response from Adobe on this issue. .  Seems they have gone silent on responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you Please Delete the below files and try? 

<user>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/amecommand/10.0.0/Trace Database.txt

<user>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/dynamiclinkmediaserver/10.0.0/Trace Database.txt

Let us know if this resolves this issue.

-Kanheiya

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No files there. Already reset preferences. PleaSe assist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have deleted the above files in the past.   I sent messages related to the above with NO response.   The only thing that works for sure and is a TEMP solution is to load some videso into Lightroom CC 2015 or Lightroom 5.     Lightroom Clasaic CC then works but stops whenever it chooses to and for certain whenever this is a new update to Lightroom Classic CC.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting this files has not helped, i.e. video still do not play. Don't have ..amecommand.. folder, so deleted the second file. 

What helps for some time (could not determine ) is restarting the iMac, however the issue comes backs in a few hours/ days. I rarely restart the iMac, only for Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

We have two workarounds , Deleting dlms Preference folder and importing video in 6.x and then importing in 7.x. Both has resolved this issue. 
Please let us know if either workaround did not work for you.

-Kanheiya

Votes

Translate

Translate