• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Videos don't play and don't import

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the passed I managed my video clips in Lightroom CC, since today I have LR Classic CC and it seems, that Adobe took out all video functions. Even I cannot open (to have a look) videos from the old catalogue. Is this a bug, or ist the function not existing anymore?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 168 Replies 168
168 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Malte,

When you imported the videos, do you recall if they were importing as .mov files or another file format?

Thanks,
Melissa
Melissa Rios, Product Manager, Community Experiences & Platforms | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neti,

I just replied to your below reply, but it looks like updating to Lightroom Classic 7.3 solved the issue for you. Thanks for coming back and letting us know!

Thanks,
Melissa
Melissa Rios, Product Manager, Community Experiences & Platforms | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, i'm working on last update 7.3 and did all steps you suggested.

I have another dynamic link issue, in photoshop, i can't open or import video files. Seems to be a dynamic link issue. Maybe it's the same issue ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melissa, I do not see that file.  My Go menu does not have a Library shortcut and a search of This Mac yielded no results.  I am updating now to 7.3, and will let you know what I find. Thanks for your help, Neti

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melissa, in fact I have not figured out HOW to update to 7.3.  I go to Help/update.  Then I get a message that I need to quit Adobe Lightroom Classic in order to update it, and when I quit the program the update window goes away too.  Very frustrating.  Nothing on the Adobe website to help me. I am beyond frustrated, just ready to give up on this especially after reading about all the problems people are having with lightroom classic crashing and rebooting the computer after the 7.3 update, https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2473488#access_token=eyJ4NXUiOiJpbXNfbmExLWtleS0xLmNlciIsImFsZyI6IlJ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melissa, I finally figured out how to upgrade to Lightroom Classic 7.3.  My videos now import, but playback on some of them is choppy.  The audio works but the picture stops and starts.  I worked with one file in particular. The same video plays fine in Quicktime.  I tried deleting from the Lightroom Catalogue and re-importing.  I purged the video cache. It is an mp4 file from an android phone, less than 2 minutes, 53MB. I am using a pretty old Macbook Pro, perhaps it's a memory issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melissa, I went back to older videos (from 2016) that used to play in Lightroom when I had Lightroom 3, berfore updating to 5 and then CC 7.  Now I have Lightroom CC Classic 7.3.  My old video thumbnails show an exclamation mark (in small black circle) in the Library view, and don't play.  I removed them from the catalogue, and tried re-importing (leaving them in their original folders, using "Add").  Every single video had a problem and could not be imported.  The videos do play in Quicktime.  Taking your previous advice, I searched my Mac for "Trace Database.txt"" and found nothing.  Thanks for your reply, I really need help with this!  There is no "<user>/Library/Preferences/Adobe" folder on my computer. Neti

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Please see my reply below, I was premature in saying y videos are working now, they most definitely are not.  This thread should not be marked as solved, or maybe we need to start a new thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, using 7.3. Issue still unresolved.
Stewart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you on this thread who were unable to get video rolling using the targeted file deletion mentioned above try the following steps:

1. Uninstall all other LrD versions. Use Cloud cleaner to clean all files.
2. Install Lr 6.0, Upgrade to Lr 6.14. 
3. Video should be running fine now.
4. Install Lr 7.3 after this.
5. Import video files again. It should work fine now.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t imagine as a paying customer that I should have to do anything other than expect Adobe to fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having import issues with my iphone videos as well.  And NO videos (from mark ii or mark iv or any iphone movies) are playing correctly.  At first I could see the video playing, but the sound had ear piercing 'blips', then I restarted and now I can't even see any videos when it's on single image view (I can see thumbnails) and after a few minutes of nothing, I get a message that says there was an error with the video.  I just had to force quit as it completely stopped responding.  Every attempt to open since then Lightroom won't display anything for videos in the single view and the play button is grayed out.  

I am using the latest version Lightroom Classic CC 10.3  

All the videos I tried in Lightroom play correctly in quicktime.  

As far as importing is concerned: from a usb connected iphone x, it takes multiple imports as Lightroom gets stuck before completing import and refuses to import some videos (appears random).  I finally got all of them on my computer using airdrop to my imac and then importing into Lightroom.  What a hassle.

I hope Rikk Flohr's workaround is a joke, because I'm not doing all that.  I haven't tried Melissa Rios' solution either as I am not re-importing every single video for the last 12 years, and that appears to be the last step.  My videos have always played well.  I don't think I've tried watching any since I updated to 10.3 though, so I'm assuming 10.3 is the problem, and not the imported videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect response! The number of glitches and issues surrounding the many versions of Lightroom now are making me think they're spreading themselves too thin. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the last update 7.3.1 does not correct this issue...

maybe the only one solution is to go back to Lightroom 5 and stop paying creative cloud...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working and each potential solution seems to involve working around Adobe's update. Given the number of people affected by this, how is this not yet a priority? The bottom line is that is was working before updating and now it is not. The customer did not make any changes, Adobe did and the solution is for the customer to troubleshoot a plethora of potential issues cause by the update. Perhaps a black box warning should appear for any update; warning the dedicated customer that new update is going to change a fundamental component that users have become accustomed to and relied on in their day to day usage of the product for years. This seems to be the latest obstacle created by Adobe's growing need to push people from desktop to cloud based storage and solutions to increase potential revenue. How about we just keep things that are working well for customers in place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. No solution from Adobe. Everything is updated, all work around solutions tried. Update after the new LR was released is now creating problems for so many long time users and dedicated customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working and each potential solution seems to involve working around Adobe's update. Given the number of people affected by this, how is this not yet a priority? The bottom line is that is was working before updating and now it is not. The customer did not make any changes, Adobe did and the solution is for the customer to troubleshoot a plethora of potential issues cause by the update. Perhaps a black box warning should appear for any update; warning the dedicated customer that new update is going to change a fundamental component that users have become accustomed to and relied on in their day to day usage of the product for years. This seems to be the latest obstacle created by Adobe's growing need to push people from desktop to cloud based storage and solutions to increase potential revenue. How about we just keep things that are working well for customers in place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is the answer for most:

Quit LR

From the Finder type: (CMD-SHIFT_G) OR from GO Menu

Enter path: ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/

Rename the following folders with a .old OR delete the directory

dynamiclinkmediaserver

dynamiclinkmanager

DyanmicLinkMediaServer

Open LR and Import Video files as usual. Worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why this issue is marked as solved as it is really not ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me: can't import videos from my iphone X into LightRoom CC (creative cloud paying option). This is really lame... ADOBE team please identify a solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no news from adobe, however they released an update, and it didn't correct this issue... just a nonsense

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note, I have reopened this issue for inconsistent video playback. I am able to reproduce poor playback with iPhone 7 videos. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk:

Could you provide us with an update how the Adobe team is thinking about this?

This thread is more than 6 months old, and video import and playback inconsistency issues have been a recurring item for Lightroom before then. I used to utilize Lightroom as a video library management tool years ago, and I have had to stop.

So, one way forward could be to STOP supporting video cataloging in Lightroom at all, since the recurring technical issues seem insurmountable to the Adobe Dev team.

Why not just remove this functionality?

All that is being offered to end user is a never-ending stream of workarounds that might fix the issue for some, but not all.

Perhaps Adobe could develop a self-standing video cataloging tool, or purchase it from a third party and then integrate it into Lightroom later?

But if the answer to the above thread is that Adobe wants to continue to provide video support, then may I humbly suggest the team actually FIX THIS ISSUE once and for all, and not just with workarounds but with a solid effort, bulletproof solution and communications around the cause and what's being done to address this.

I'm just so tired of these half-hearted and ineffective fixes and patches - and PR and communications effort to match.

Votes

Translate

Translate