• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Will not remove Radial/Gradient filters when a preset with no Radial/Gradient filters is chosen

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug started happening to me probably after the latest 9.2 update. 

1) Prepare a flat preset, with all parameters set to their neutral position, and no local adjustments. Let's call this preset "Rawest". Make sure everything is selected when you save it, especially the "Graduated Filters" and "Radial Filters" options. Now, this preset is supposed to restore everything to flat and remove any Gradient and Radial filters when selected.

2) Pick a photo, and select the Rawest preset. As you can see, no local adjustments are present and everything is flat.

3) Edit the photo and add some Gradient/Radial Filters. Here I added 2 Radial Filters, one on the top-left corner, and one on the face of the horse.

4) Now select the "Rawest" preset that you created in the beginning.

5) Look at the Radial Filters: they have not been removed. Parameters in various panels have returned to their neutral position as expected, but every the Radial Filters are still there. This was not happening in previous versions of Lightroom. This also happen with Gradient Filters as well.

System Info

MacOS Catalina 10.15.4

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,5

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: 197.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.30f2

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
20 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug also exists in LR 5. A hacky workaround:

Add a single, very small radial filter to a photo that's outside the upper-left corner of the image, e.g.

Untitledpng

Don't change any of the sliders for the filter.  Save it as part of your "Zero" preset.

Applying that preset will clear any other radial filters, and the dummy one added by the preset won't have any effect on the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for both the post and the reply.

This both explains a stubborn graduated filter and gives a workaround. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the difference between a preset that is setup to "restore everything to flat" and clicking Reset?

Reset will definitely remove all local adjustments, remove any cropping and transformations and restore all sliders to their default (neutral?) positions.

I am obviously missing the intent of your "Rawest" preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Reset button resets the image to the camera default settings, not to all zero. I would not expect anyone to have a graduated or radial filter in their camera defaults, but if they do, that button will not reset these filters.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried the Reset function (Shift+Command+R on Mac). Yes, it resets the picture, but it has drawbacks:
1) Either you remember the shortcut, or you have to go to the Library module and click on Photo -> Develop Settings -> Reset. I don't see any way of doing it from the Develop module without using a shortcut.
2) What if in my Rawest preset, instead of wanting everything flat I want everything flat but let's say, Saturation +20? I want this preset to default to all flat and Sat+20, and I want it to remove any Gradient/Radial filter.

I honestly don't think my ask is unreasonable. There is a reason why Lightroom asks you which parameters you want to update when saving a preset, and that is to control what the preset can touch. If I don't want the preset to touch Filters, I will uncheck them when saving the preset. Otherwise, if I check them, I want the preset to store whatever filters I saved, even "no filter present". Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to work, but I think we all agree that it's a pretty ugly hack, prone to mistakes, and that Lightroom developers should fix this bug, because the fact that a radial filter is stored in the preset and the absence of radial filters is not stored, it's simply bad design. If I create a preset that has no radial filters, I mean it, and I want that preset to have no radial filters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Valentino

In the Develop Module the Reset button is at the bottom right of the right hand panel. Also while you are in the Develop Module, the keyboard shortcut, Shift-Command-R resets all settings as does the menu option: Settings - Reset All Settings.

Given that your objective to have a preset do all that you want is currently not possible, my suggestion would be a two-step approach, Reset followed by the preset that does all the other things you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Paul, that is helpful. I must be blind, I completely overlooked the huge "Reset" button on the right hand panel 🙂 

It makes sense, for now I can workaround by hitting Reset and then selecting whatever preset I need. I still believe they should fix this Gradient/Radial filter bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A note on this thread: We currently have an issue open that will prevent customers from creating a default edit containing an empty local adjustment.  This thread will be updated when that change goes in to production. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rikk. Is there any update on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread will be updated when there is information publicly available. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 9.3, an update to Lightroom Classic, went live on June 15, 2020 and contains a fix for this issue. Please install the update and respond back if it does not cure the issue for you. Thank you for your patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that LR 9.3 now prevents you from creating a preset with Graduated Filters or Radial Filters checked unless there is at least one graduated or radial filter applied to the photo:

While this will prevent the confusion experienced by Valentino, I don't think it was the solution he was hoping for (creating a preset that clears graudated and radial filters).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 9.3 has two built in presets that will work for this. I am not sure about Zeroed but Adobe Defaults is new in LR

Adobe Defaults. -  This is like the old Reset(Adobe) which appears to reset everything back to the "Adobe Defaults", not the Default you set in import.  This preset resets the Local Brush, Radial etc.

Zeroed.  -   This Zeros all the slider values.

If you use them both on a photo, the photo is reset to NO edits.   Its a 2 step process but how many times would you need this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. The new Defaults presets use a new tag in their .xmp files:

crs:Baseline="Adobe Default"
crs:Baseline="Camera Settings"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see.  Adobe Default is essentially a one setting preset.  I wonder if you would add crs:Baseline="Adobe Default" to the Zeroed preset if you would have a new preset that would eliminate the two steps. For me its not worth the time to test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sure looks that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this a solution? All of the other settings in a Develop preset can be reset to 0 or removed. Why not Radial and Graduated Filters? Also Sync Settings and Copy & Paste Settings supports all of the Local Adjustments. Surely there's a way to implement this in a Develop preset with some additional coding......or is there something I'm overlooking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does, I did test it

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks Victoria.  This will solve Valentino's issue if he is still following this thread.  Unfortunately just disabling the creation of empty Grad and Radial filters is not what all commenters of the thread wanted but it eliminates the confusion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate