• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (Windows) Panel is limited to 1600 items (folders, keywords, etc)

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom bug - hit a folder limit and unable to select the newly imported folder.452497 photographs across many drives in one catalog.The S drive has 214341 photos. It's the largest drive and so had many more folders than the previous drives.S:\Master Photos\ contains ~1633 folders. I know that's a lot but that is how her filing system was started. Those are the sequential numbers from 2220 - 3853 but there may be a sub folder or two or deleted folder in there so that's why the number is ~ approximate.Folders are labeled "sequential number"-"date" so 3853-20150316Adding one more folder caused Lightroom 4 to not allow the last folder to be clicked on and not show any images. The T:\ drive (offline, collapsed and below the S:\ drive) was collapsed and the label was overlaid on top of the "Collections" section label. Updated to latest version of Lightroom 5 via her new cloud account, had it rebuild the catalog and the same problem occurred.Created a sub folder S:\Master Photos\2012 and moved 15 of the folders into that folder. The 2012 folder was expanded so the list was actually one row larger and the last good folder wouldn't open. I collapsed the 2012 folder and now all the bottom folders were accessible.It appears there is an object limitation or a fixed array or something that is causing the folder list to become finite. She said a similar thing happens on her keyword list until she collapses some of the groups but I didn't check that out.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Cross-referencing the existing Investigation report to this thread. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 194 Replies 194
194 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on dj_paige's reply, on Windows the Folders, Collections, and Keyword List panels and the Library Filter bar are limited to 32K pixels high. When LR tries to display a list that exceeds that limit, it fails very ungracefully with all sorts of bad behavior.  The bug has been present since the first version of LR on Windows and Adobe has no intention of fixing it. 

The workaround is to keep most of the folder hierarchy collapsed and only expand those parts that you need.  You can collapse the entire hierarchy on a drive by holding Alt and clicking on the collapse/expand triangle to the left of a top-level folder.  The next time you open that folder, only its immediate children will be shown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cross-referencing the existing Investigation report to this thread. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic is still unable (on Windows) to display keywords in the grid view filter beyond some small number of 1000s of keywords. I think I reported this approx a decade ago?

My understanding is that there is some graphic element that is hardcoded to a 32 bit 16 bit (32k or 64k) number of pixels and once #elements * height exceeds that value, no more can be displayed. It seems that in a decade of tweaks, this could have been fixed?

it's easy to run up against this limitation if importing JPEGs or other images that are tagged with a large number of unique values.

Suggestion for a likely satisfactory (developer) workaround if not a complete solution:

If there are a large number of keywords, replace them with ▶ first letter (as for dates and several other potentially long lists), and if that would open into an excessively long list, segment that too when opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Hard Coder, the Windows LR bug with the maximum height of 32K pixels for various panels in LR has been present from the very beginning due to shortcuts the developers took, and at this point, I think it's very unlikely Adobe will ever fix it:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-windows-limit-on-number-of-keywords-folders-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the trouble last night to make my list of ~8000 keywords for ~250,000 photos "hierarchical" by creating 'A:', 'B:', '0-9:', etc. "container" keywords then drag-dropping the appropriate keywords into each of those. Took a couple hours as the operation was extremely slow, and after 2-3 letters worth, Lightroom started doing that thing where its memory usage explodes from a couple GB to 10, 15, 30 GB and it grinds to a halt. So, do 2-3 letters, restart LR. Do 2-3 letters, restart LR. Do 2-3 letters, restart LR.

But while this is a solution that will work, this will only work in my current use case for this collection, where I don't expect to add any more photos. If I add more photos then I'll have to do the drag-dropping process all over again each time.

It's possible to do this organizational change (add top-level container keywords based on initial character, then put keywords in them appropriately) and updates to it with automation using an SQLite browser, but it's nontrivial. It's probably a single (lengthy) SQL statement. I thought about doing it last night and I might do it for fun some day. I think it would probably run in minutes in my current use case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk,  any progrress on this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's frustrating that Adobe still hasn't fixed this bug. I too was told to organize my keywords into hierarchies by dragging and dropping keywords into a parent/category. This works when I'm working from the top of the list, but when I try to drag and drop a keyword from the bottom half or so of the list, drag and drop doesn't work.

I'm running Windows 11 Pro version 23H2, Lightroom Classic version 13.0.1 (Graphics Processor Info: DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (31.0.15.4601), Init State: GPU for Export supported by default, User Preference: GPU for Export enabled)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@greggplu: "...organize my keywords into hierarchies by dragging and dropping keywords into a parent/category. This works when I'm working from the top of the list, but when I try to drag and drop a keyword from the bottom half or so of the list, drag and drop doesn't work."

The workaround: Use the Filter Keywords box at the top of the the Keyword List panel. Type one or more words from each of the source and destination keywords, and the panel will display just those keywords containing those words (and their ancestor keywords).   

Beware that you need to type the first several characters quickly. Otherwise, the result of typing the first character (e.g. "e") will try to display all keywords containing "e", which could lock up LR if that number exceeds the maximum. If necessary, copy/paste the words into the search box to avoid this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem in that the keyword list can't be scrolled all the way down. It stops about 1/2 way. I notice that people have been reporting a similar issue on here since 2012 and all that adobe seems to have done is to offer advice to create a heirarcial structure to shorten the list.  There seems to be a difference of opinion as to if its an Adobe Issue or Microsoft issue with Mac users not having the sane issue. Have Adobe really sat on their backsides since 2012 and not fixed this fundamental issue?  Is there a fix that I've missed? Creating a heirarcial structure is not going to work for me. IS there no way for example to just list keywords beginning with a certain letter - that would help.  This is very frustrating.
Lightroom Classic 13.2.1 on Windows 11 23h2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known limitation in Windows. It cannot list more than a certain number of lines (no idea how many). Use hierarchical keywords, so you can 'collapse' groups of keywords and limit the number of lines this way. You can also search on keywords.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The limit for a listbox in Windows seems to be about 65536 lines (64K). I doubt that is the reason for the problem with the keyword list.

Thor Egil Leirtrø
Freelance concert photographer - thoregilphoto.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bug in LR on Windows caused by a shortcut developers took in LR 1. See here for an authoritative description:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-windows-panel-is-limited-to-1600-items-folde...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An absolute disgrace that this issue caused by sloppy programming is still ongoing after 15 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate