• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Won't start. Ask to change permission of folders, but that doesn't solve.

LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the Lightroom 2015.5 (march 2016) update, Lightroom doesn't work anymore. Ask to change permission of folders in library manually. I did as told and it still doesn't work...

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016
The issue with the dialog blocking use until you correct user permissions errors has been fixed in the Lightroom CC 2015.5.1/6.5.1 update that was released today: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2016/04/lightroom-cc-2015-5-1-now-available.html

If you encounter user permissions issues, you can use this script/instructions to correct them: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/user-permissions-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
54 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stefan for the info. 

One of the things that we're looking into in the next update is to make such permission check optional (customer can turn it off and continue regardless). The permission issue might still be there but Lightroom can continue the launch, which might or might not cause actual problems. In Lr 6.5, we still see some reports of crashes due the folder permission issues (when it is not corrected), but at least customer know what is going on at the surface instead of just getting a blind crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So......when will an update be out for this bug?? I'm not as competent in trouble shooting a workaround as some of you on this site (should we have to be?), but I know that I have tried the prescribed fixes, and none of them work for me. I'm running OS X 10.10.5. I'm a working professional photographer (as I'm sure a lot here are) and we NEED a fix fast! Anyone try Capture One Lately? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are still investigating the issue. If you're blocked, you can try to revert to the CC 2015.4/6.4 for the time being.

1. Uninstall CC 2015.5/6.5 from your machine
2. Go to https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html, download and install Lr 6.0.
3. Then download and install the CC 2015.4/6.4 patch on top of Lr 6.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is some success in https://getsatisfaction.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-cc-2015-5-lightroom-6-5-camera-raw-dng... after fixing not only the r/w permission on the folders, but also make sure that you are the actual owner of the Adobe folders and all its enclosed items.

The same Apple help https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21997?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US also describes how to fix the ownership.

When the items in the folders are not owned by the current user, the only workaround is to grant read/write access to everyone. If you correct the ownership to all the enclosed item (making sure you own all of them) and correct the r/w permission for the current user, the issue should be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I wrote a shell script that automates the restoration of ownership, read/write permission and the removing of ACL from the set of Adobe user folders and its subfolders. I've shared the zipped shell script at my Creative Cloud sync folder http://adobe.ly/22tjZX8 . Here is how you will use the script:

1. Download the zip from the above shared link. Unzip it by select and double-clicking the zip file using the mouse. There will appear a shell script file named "LightroomCorrectPermission.sh" sitting next to the zip file that you have just downloaded, which typically is located at /Users/your login user name/Downloads/LightroomCorrectPermission.zip.

2. Type "Terminal" in the Spotlight search box and launch Mac OSX's Terminal app

3. From the Finder, drag-n-drop the uncompressed shell script file "LightroomCorrectPermission.sh" at step 1 onto the Terminal window. You will typically see the following in the Terminal window, press Enter to run the shell script:

/Users/your login user name/Downloads/LightroomCorrectPermission.sh

When prompted, enter your Mac OS X login password (assume it is an account with admin privilege). If everything works well, you should be able to launch Lightroom successfully.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2016 Mar 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi for those with little success so far.... I went through adobe and their on line technical chat. You can let them take control of your screen if you are happy to do this. It took 2 different techs well over 90 mins but threy finally sorted my issue with the folder permissions, error 16 and both lightroom and photoshp cc. Only showing as trial versions. If it took 2 techs this amount of time I donat think i would have been able to sort it myself..

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script runs, but does not fix the problem. It gives these two errors. Replaced my username with ***.

chown: ***/Library/Application Support/Adobe//AAMUpdater/1.0/aamui.log: Operation not permitted

chown: ***/Library/Application Support/Adobe//Lightroom/Modules: Operation not permitted

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, after downloading the latest version on my macBook Air, no problems.

However, on my iMac, I received the dreaded permissions error.  After reading the various fixes, I just:  Clicked the Action pop-up menu , then choose “Apply to enclosed items.  Everything worked fine after that.  

I tried the Terminal fix and it did not work for me.

Lightroom also works well with the new HDR program Aurora http://aurorahdr.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with sudo i was able to fix the above two problems, and now Lightroom starts again.

sudo chown -R myusername <and the path as above>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Johannes Thanks for the feedback. I've updated the shell script at the same shared link to require a 'sudo' to run the chown command, in case the circumstance needs it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simon,

I tried everything. NOTHING worked EXCEPT YOUR SCRIPT DID WORK!

You just made my day - THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!

I can't believe Adobe gave us this bug in the latest update and their solution DOESN'T WORK except creating a new admin on my machine (which I don't want).

Million THX you're the best!

Florin Harrison T.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the options described 1-3 worked for me (including the script for terminal) and I felt that setting up a new admin account just to run Lightroom is ridiculous. 

So I uninstalled Lightroom using AppCleaner, rebooted computer, installed Lightroom 6.0, opened it and updated it to 6.5 - it worked just fine for me.

Thanks,
Boris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to thank customers *Stefan Stein here, *Dirk Müller and *Andrei Frolov from the other related thread https://getsatisfaction.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-cc-2015-5-lightroom-6-5-camera-raw-dng... to help sort through this maze of Mac OS X file permission issues. The root cause of the issue is different for each customer. It is historical and culprits could be Adobe installers, or 3rd party plug-in developers, Mac OS X upgrade (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204899) and maybe even user errors at some point.

Lr 6.5 release has just exposed this can of worms and unfortunately it does not offer an escape hatch to ignore it and continue. It should have allowed customers to fix the issue at their own timing. This will be fixed in the next Lightroom update.

However, it is important to address these file permission issues on your system sooner than later. You don't know how these file permission issues will manifest themselves as bugs as you use the products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simon - it ́s a very specific error. Didn ́t have something like this before - EVER.
And - it was not happening with CC2015.4
So I "guess" it is very likely, there was a change in permission management from .4 to .5 .
Other than that, the software runs nicely as far as I can say.
Next week I will ask a friend of mine who is an OSX programmer and specialized in Databases and networking about this, Maybe he has a good explanation about why a prog can go so berserk on a formerly working file and permission structure.

Regards
Stefan Steib

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me! Can't thank you enough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stefan.

Some Lightroom CC 2015.4 customers (https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr-6-4-mac-os-x-10-11-3-hangs-freezes-crashes...) were hit with the same underlying permission issue as well. Lightroom CC 2015.4 does not check for user folder permissions at all. As a result, customers could experience crashes, hangs on launch or other mysterious symptoms. The other customers might just get lucky without noticing they still have the underlying folder permission issues. It just did not affect Lightroom.

The difference in CC 2015.5 is that we start to check and detect for these folder permission issues, in an attempt to steer the customer clear of the mine field and also have a chance to address the issue. But as I mentioned above, we could have done better in after thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well - if so, there is a nice little improvement for a future .6 update:
in Preferrences make a button and let people chose to switch it on or off.
That simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2016 Mar 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked for me, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2016 Mar 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying to fix this for 2 days i finally found you! I followed your steps and within a minute, if at all, it worked! I can't thank you enough; you're amazing!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, we should not update till this is actually fixed for user type people?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue only affect a very very small number of people. You can go ahead and upgrade. If there is issue, try the script fix. In the worst case, uninstall and revert to 6.4. In the meantime, the team is working on a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

script worked! Thanks! None of the adobe instructions worked, this is a serious issue and customers shouldn't be expected to take these measure to fix this. My instinct was telling me not to download a script from the internet on to my computer, which is common sense. What if I downloaded a virus, how will I ever know? Adobe is exposing a lot of people to this. At minimum there should always be an option to revert to the previous version immediately (please add to CC app) for when this sort of thing happens, because peoples livelihood are at stake in some cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question I have now is should I update photoshop CC? Im scared I will have the same problem... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the script fixes for you, Photoshop CC would be happy with the fix as well. It probably just did not know it had a possible problem until it ran into one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My God! When are you guys going to stop screwing up Lightroom updates for Mac users.  I would have thought you would have learned a lesson from the recent debacle update which deleted Mac files!  It is getting to the point where I don't install any Adobe updates on my Mac.  And then I start wondering why I am paying every month for Adobe CC!

Votes

Translate

Translate