Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Wrong preview / Discard/Render 1:1 Previews does not work

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just installed LR 4.4RC, uninstalled it (due to a rendering bug for 32 bpc tif files), and reinstalled LR 4.3.

LR4.4RC did render my 32bpc file very ugly. So now in LR4.3 back I go to Library -> Previews -> Discard and discard the preview. Then I to to Library -> Previews -> Render and render it again.

But ... LR 4.3 shows the old and ugly preview of LR4.4RC.

When I go to the develop module in LR 4.3, all looks fine. When I go back to the library module, LR 4.3 shows still the wrong ugly rendering.

For screenshots, see https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23843309/Dis....

Please fix this.

Thanks.

Best regards

Manfred Schneider

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 20, 2013 Sep 20, 2013
Hi Rob,

Yes, this one did get fixed. Thanks for the nudge, this post somehow slipped through the cracks and didn't get updated.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
11 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discard doesn't discard right away. Restarting often triggers it, so there's no point discarding and rebuilding immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Victoria,

thanks for the quick reply and the hints.

I already tried to restart LR
- after discarding and before rendering
- after discarding and rendering
- while in develop mode

No approach seems to be able to render a correct preview.

When in develop mode, all is fine. And I can see a correct preview in the film strip at the bottom.

Then when I go back to grid mode, I can see a correct preview in the grid for a very short time, then the previews renders wrong.

I just tried this:
- went into develop mode
- restarted LR
- again in develop mode switched to grid mode and suddenly the preview is CORRECT in the grid.
- quit LR, started LR, and back again in the grid the preview is WRONG!

Very confusing. I am still unable to see a correct preview .

Best regards

Manfred Schneider

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manfred,

I'll investigate the preview issue, but I'm more concerned about the poor rendering of the 32 bit TIFF. Can you provide a sample of a 32 bit TIFF that renders well in Lightroom 4.3, and does not render well in Lightroom 4.4 RC?

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benjamin,

for copyright/IP reasons I cannot provide raw files and the complete 32bpc tif file.

But here is a 32bpc tif file rendering correctly in LR43 and bad in LR44RC

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23843309/32b...

I created this file in 5 minutes: merged 5 canon cr2 files with Photomatix Merge to 32 bit, then imported it in LR43, edited it 2 minutes in LR43, closed LR43, installed LR44RC in a VMware Workstation 32 bit WIN8 system, imported the 32bpc file in LR44RC and ... it renders incorrectly.

So it is very easy to test this behaviour in your environment.

Best regards, Manfred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manfred,

Yup, it is easy to test in my environment. In my environment, however, a 32 bit TIFF generated by PhotoMatix works just fine in Lightroom 4.4. Unfortunately, if we can't reproduce the problem in house we can't really fix it. So, if you can provide a sample file that works correctly in 4.3 and not in 4.4, that would help us make some progress.

If you're uncomfortable posting a download link to your file on this public forum, I can email you privately with instructions on how to FTP the file directly to a secure Adobe server. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benjamin,

hmm, I am confused. Did you test the behavior with the file (from dropbox) of my previous posting? Did this file render correctly in LR44 in your environment? Or incorrectly?

If you send me an email with instructions how to upload to an Adobe ftp server and if only Adobe can access this file and only for testing/debugging, then I will upload the file.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Manfred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manfred,

Got it, thanks! Not sure why your dropbox link didn't work for me before. I can see that this file does indeed display differently in Lightroom 4.3 and Lightroom 4.4. (Most noticeably, it appears darker in 4.4 - is that what you're seeing?) I've entered the issue in our bug database.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benjamin,

great, that you could reproduce it. Yes, I see it darker, maybe with slightly other colors.

Please note that I additionally posted another ticket which might be related to this ticket: "Lightroom: 4.4RC: 32 bpc tif file rendering broken - far too dark - far too ugly colors
" ( http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh... )

And please note that Photomatix is using a wrong gamma in its merged files. But nevertheless, the rendering in LR43 and LR44RC is very different.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Manfred Schneider

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

|> "Restarting often triggers it"

Really? (can't corroborate on win7/64)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After brief spot-check, discarding 1:1 previews seems fixed in 5.2. Does it not seem fixed to anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2013 Sep 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Rob,

Yes, this one did get fixed. Thanks for the nudge, this post somehow slipped through the cracks and didn't get updated.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate