• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Zooming very large images shows grey box

Contributor ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using lightroom Classic CC 7.0.1 and Camera Raw 10.0. Is there a limit to how large a file can be and still be able to create a 1:1 preview?  I have a 16 bit TIFF that is 26246 x 2899 pixels.  When I try to view it at 1:1 or any other size except "Fit" in the Library module, it refuses to draw (Fill works so long as I don't try 1:1 first).  I just see a grey box. I can view it in any size in the Develop module or Photoshop, but not the Library module.  Does the Library module have a size limit, and if so, what is it?  I also checked the Task Manager and it showed the CPU and disk had little or no activity, and memory was using 15GB which is not unusual on my system. I have 3.67 Terabytes of unused disk space. I have an i7 6700K processor running at 4.00GHz and 32GB of DDR4 Sdram memory and Windows 10 version 1703.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
49 Comments
Engaged ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very large pano made in Lr from 19 vertically shot raw images from a Nikon D90 camera. In the Library module of Lr 9.1 Classic with Loupe View, this is what I see:

Clicking to zoom in at 1:1 view I get a very low res image while Lr is loading:

Once loaded, the image area goes grey - 1:1 image view is not rendered:

Zooming back out to Fit View briefly flashes the low res image, then the image is displayed as normal, like the first screen shot above. Clicking to zoom in again at 1:1, first gives a grey outlined box:

before again showing a grey image area like the third screen shot shown above.

In the Develop module, zooming to 1:1 view works as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're experiencing the Library 1:1 Preview size limitation (long edge >16384 px) mentioned in this post, which remains to be acknowledged or fixed by Adobe. You can try the workaround in my post above. Resized lossy DNG exports for large panoramas do not have this issue, the file size is smaller, and most images exhibit no difference in image quality compared to the full-size LR Photo Merge to Panorama DNG file. The original files stacked with the resized lossy DNG take up about the same or less storage space as the full-size panorama DNG file. This allows you to recreate the full-size panorama at a later date if a larger image size is needed or you notice compression artifacts (not likely).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Good to have a simple explanation and I wish Adobe engineers
could have explained this when I first reported. I can live with this.
**Mac Studio M2 Max** Sonoma (14.4), 32GB/1TB (system/catalog), Photos stored on QNAP all SSD volume connected via 10GbE
**Raw images** Sony A7R - A7RV, A7C (24 MPix), a6700, Sony NEX-7, various Canon DSLRs and G series
**Displays** 2x BenQ SW271C (4K, USB-C)
**Printer** Epson SureColor SC-P800

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention if you use the resized lossy DNG panorama workflow you can sync all of the develop settings applied back to a full-size panorama DNG if you need to recreate it at a later date. See this post: https://console.getsatisfaction.com/photoshop_family/conversations/lightroom-classic-preview-size-li...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try temporarily turn off the GPU acceleration from Lightroom>Edit>Preferences>Performance to see if it helps. There might be a GPU RAM/driver limit.

In general Lightroom has a hard maximum image size limit of 65000 px on the long edge or a maximum total of 512 mega pixels, whichever comes first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon, the blank screen Library preview occurs with 'Use Graphics Processor' set to Off on my Windows 10 system with LR Classic 9.1. It appears to be a 2 to the 14th power long edge size. Anything greater than 16,384 px produces a blank Library preview at 1:1 view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely it can’t take more than 2 years to fix this? Come on Lightroom development team, lift your game. I've been developing software in one form or another for more than 40 years and you don't ask the user to fault find or troubleshoot for you. You take the issue onboard, do your own testing, track down the problem and fix it. The developer debugs their own software, not the paying user. There seems to be some sort of in-house aversion to fixing problems in Lightroom, much to the annoyance of the Lr's customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, first they have to *want* to fix it ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd, I picked this up off your other thread. I cannot duplicate this. Do you have a file you can send me that exhibits this issue?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ziw9jh4bqviqceu/16385x16385_2tothe14power%2B1_IMG_0154.JPG?...
You will need to click on 'Open' and then 'Download' to access the file. I guess Dropbox can't handle picture files this large.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can repro with this file. I will log it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 9.2 and this issue still exists. It is about time we get this solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Lrc 9.3 and have the same problem.

I wasted 2 hours yesterday chatting with Adobe techs and doing all the usual things they suggested, e.g. reset preferences. 

17 minutes into my first chat I asked if they had researched and whether the problem was a known bug.  I didn't get a response so I asked again and was told it was not.  Did the tech really research?

Whatever their excuse, Adobe needs to do better when customers contact them about bugs that have been known, for 3 years especially.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any updates to this?  Adobe phone support won't admit that it's a known bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore anything phone support says -- they're completely unreliable and will say anything to close a case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what happens when you have a monopoly on the market.  They just don't care!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are so many problems that have been in Lightroom for so long.  I have to believe Adobe does not care about it's noncorporate customers.  They are chasing the big bucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To those having this issue on Windows and trying to analyse what might be happening, I recommend HWinfo64 (https://www.hwinfo.com/)  along with ProcessExplorer and ProcessMonitor (at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-utilities) as some of the best tools to see what's actually happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me... a brand new install on a new system I built and won't display a pano at 100% in Library mode but does in Develop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic, and the Lightroom Ecosystem were released yesterday evening and contain a fix for this issue.  Please install the appropriate update and see if it solves this problem. 

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirming that this problem is now fixed in LrC 9.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why does Adobe phone support refuse to acknowledge bugs that an Adobe official has logged instead of wasting customers time by insisting that the cause is something that the customer has to fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Rikk I can confirm this issue is fixed in LrC 9.4 on my Windows 10 system. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate