• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: CC jumps to front when opening files in the background.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2014 Feb 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say I'm in Lightroom and I want to open 5 or 6 shots into PS CC, and while they're opening I want to jump over to Chrome and check my email. Is PS supposed to keep jumping to the front every time another file opens? It's pretty frustrating and I don't remember it happening in previous versions of PS.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017
Hi Everyone,

This should be resolved in the 19.0 update. We are currently on 19.0.1. Please update Photoshop using the Creative Cloud desktop app, and let us know how it goes.

Thank you,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate
98 Comments
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope we're not at crossed purposes here Grauenwolfe. For clarity, my post was meant as sarcasm pointed squarely at Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at all, I just read it incorrectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joining the boat... Happens here as well - Windows 10 and PS install.
While I'm usually patient, it's so annoying, that I've started searching for a fix on Google.
Glad to see I'm not alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this needs to be fixed ... its a big slow down ... ADOBE please listen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as people pay for their software, Adobe have no motivation to 'listen'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ain't that the truth

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue on Windows 10. Annoying!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, this is the most annoying thing about the whole CC Suite at the moment. I've got a lot of other things I'd love to be doing, but nope, every time I try I'm forced to watch a loading screen instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here, so bloody annoying, it does it 3 times, everytime i alt - tab back to what i was doing whilst ps is loading and it pops back up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happening to me too ... utterfly frustrating! Adobe please get this one sorted! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still a very annoying problem! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! Why not fix this?  ADOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  KHAAAAAAAAAN!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually have the opposite problem. I have finder windows and things open and I open a photo by dragging it onto the photoshop app in the toolbar. The photo opens but photoshop doesn't come to front. I have to click on the app to get the tools and things to appear and come to front. Does anyone know how to toggle this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that what happens is PS will force its way to the front for certain moments during the process, but that doesn't mean it will be in front once it's finished. If you're opening jpegs, it may not come to the front. If you're opening RAWs or tifs, it probably will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm opening raws and the file itself will open and show in the font, but the application remains behind other windows, which means the tools and such are not visible or usable till I click the photoshop icon in my toolbar to bring it all to front (behind the open photo). Is there a way to toggle this in preferences or somewhere so that it automatically comes to the front when a file is opened, raw or jpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, that. Yes. Separate issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

This should be resolved in the 19.0 update. We are currently on 19.0.1. Please update Photoshop using the Creative Cloud desktop app, and let us know how it goes.

Thank you,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the problem is gone! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not here I'm sorry to report. 19.0.1 on Mac. It stills forces its way to the front when launching, a number of times when I'm sending files to it from LR and it's still possible to crash the tasks by taking the focus back to LR at the wrong moment. Sometimes, when left alone, I can load maybe five or six pairs of images in layers in one queue. At other times I'll come back and find only one image loaded and a layer named "Load Layers". Start again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2018 year, PS 19.0 and still the issue persists. Photoshop pops out after each imported photo. PC becomes unusable for the import time. that is crazy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2018 year, PS 19.0 and still the issue persists. Photoshop pops out after each imported photo. PC becomes unusable for the import time. that is crazy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not resolved for me either. And yes, it's insane to have this ignored for this long. Years. PS still steals the screen when running files through Image Processor. Every time. So if I'm running 50 images through Image Processor, I'm locked out of every other function on my computer until the task has completed. Complete paralyzation. All i can do to stop it from happening is revert back to older versions of CC. Like 2014.  Which is kind of hard to swallow when I'm paying monthly for what should be the most current version of Photoshop. As for 19.0.1, I'm not seeing that as an offered update yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hannah????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With regard to the Image Processor, that is a separate, known issue related only to Macs. There is a workaround for that issue but it is not resolved yet. The workaround is to  "Open Documents As Tabs." 

Preferences > Workspace > Open Documents As Tabs

RackMultipart201801109669918kn-12c86a88-2fa6-4724-b469-14f4ee1b4a75-831698624.png

Let me know how that goes for you.

Thanks,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't help me, when batch processing files I can't work in other apps because photos keep coming to the front for each new file. 

Also, I am still having this problem when I open photos Photoshop does NOT come to the front. This is very annoying as I then have to click on the photoshop icon to bring it up with all the tools and history. Is there a setting so that the whole program will come to the front when an image is opened???

Votes

Translate

Translate