• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Loss of internet connection and license

Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I first purchased CC I asked on a forum the question, "will it still run if my internet is down", and I was informed yes.

I have moved to a small volcanic (desert) island where the internet isn't always good.  So far I have been luck in that it has been off when I have not needed to be at my computer.  This morning was the first time, but I thought it would allow me to catch up with photo processing and art work. Until I got the message that Adobe can't check my subscription!!!   So for most of the morning I might as well have gone back to bed!

Now we are hoping to move further inland, where connection problems are more than likely to increase.  I wasn't bothered until this morning, as I thought I would still be able to use Photoshop and Lightroom. :'(

So, have finally got internet back on I opened up Photoshop and Lightroom ok.  When it went down again they did stay open so I see that I must just have a connection in order to open them.

So I have to ask, is there ANY way that I can open Lightroom and Photoshop when my internet connection goes down? 

Bug Acknowledged

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018
Hi Lukáš and David,

Thanks much for your thoughtful replies.  I believe we are actually in complete agreement about almost everything :).  Here's some follow-up information and answers to some of the issues you raise:

1. We agree that the current design is too brittle.  In fact, we have already made changes in our design to avoid this problem (one, as Lukáš suggested, is to be more permissive of time jiggles) and product updates that incorporate those changes will likely become available starting ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018
Hi Jill,

Sorry you're having trouble.

Two things which can lead to being unlicensed:

1) If you have the CC Photography plan, you will need an internet connection at least every 90 days to update the licensing token. Details here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/internet-connection-creative-cloud-apps.html

2) If the clock on your computer is changed, this can also revoke the license. Two things can cause this:

a) Your computer's clock CMOS battery/capacitor is bad and your laptop battery ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
56 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you get a better team, then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a desktop. I use Lightroom most days. Last week, out of the blue, one evening LR wouldn't open, said I had to sign in yadda yadda. Now for sure I can't trust LR on my laptop, if it even goes wrong on my desktop. As above, I can't afford to not have a system I can trust on my laptop, so LR has just come off of it (I don't want to be tempted to try risking it).

I print stuff several times a week from Lightroom on my desktop, and if I can't get into it I lose money. What on earth kind of system do you guys have that can fail over something so fundamental?

I don't use Photoshop at all now, Affinity does all I want and never complains about me not being on the internet. I use Photomatix for HDR, and PTGui for panos (usually stitching an image from multiple scans on my A3 Colour scanner).

There are other image editing systems like LR that I can use, in fact I often jump out to some of them from LR. However, with so many images each cropped for the different standard sizes I print at, that's the one thing still tying my to LR (I used to think it was the keywording etc. but LR hasn't improved on that in donkeys' years, so as it's obviously not of interest to Adobe any more I'm not investing more in that area via LR).

So, I just can't wait for another system that can let me print as easily as I can from LR; as soon as that is out I'm gone, and it will with great sadness, and also anger - anger at how such a great program has been trashed by Adobe in its greed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar issue this past Monday when we had a power outage that lasted over 24 hrs. I launched LR on my Samsung Android tablet and noticed one on my LR Classic synced collections had changed its sort order from Custom to Capture Date. When I changed back to Custom pictures started dropping out of the grid view until there was only one picture visible. I checked another album and the same thing happened. These are all LR Classic synced collections that have been downloaded to the tablet with proxy previews created. Once I got power back and reconnected via Wi-Fi I was able to change the sort order again, Syncing restarted, and very quickly all of the pictures in the albums appeared. It maybe a different problem, but this is the first time I’ve experienced it when using the tablet without an Internet connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In light of these recent posts and the fact I'm going north for a week shortly and will be out of internet range, I thought I'd better make sure I signed in on my LT last night. I did that, via Lightroom. Now here's something I didn't know and thought I'd better mention because it could have tripped me up big time (and prompted me to write a truly scathing piece here, which I'm tempted to do anyway in light of all this). As I say, I signed into Adobe through Lightroom last night. Today I went off grid to make sure it would stick, and it did. LR opened fine. Then I opened PS. Or rather, I *tried* to open PS. It said it couldn't verify my subscription. Really???? I have the full apps package. I thought that by signing into one app, you were signing in to Adobe CC and everything in that subscription package would be recognized and verified. Not so! I signed into PS, IL and ID all this morning. If I hadn't discovered this today, I would have driven about 12 hours all for nothing. Here's what I don't understand about all this. PS has a filter that will let me take a front-on photo and stick it on a wall that is slanting away from you and make the perspective of that photo appear correct for that wall it's stuck on. It's a brilliant piece of engineering. But, they can't put a code in your software that says it's paid for and that will not care if you're in coverage or not, at least for a year. A friend of mine sells a software package that is also subscription based and you have to log on once a year. As long as you do that, you're good to go. As one person suggested, some of us can't afford this sort of chance that we may not be able to log into our programs, especially if our living depends on it. I'm fine with the subscription service, and I'm more than fine with protecting yourselves against pirates (I hate pirates as much as you do). However I'm anything but fine with a denial of service to folks that are paid up and honest about things, especially when solutions exist. 

Anyway, just be aware. If you are going out of range of the internet and you haven't logged into ALL the Adobe programs you have individually in the past 90 days, you'd best do so because only the individual programs you have logged into will open. Just thought you should know.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This subscription I have is paid *ANNUALLY*. Why should I even have to log on every 90 days to keep my subscription active? My subscription runs out next August, not 90 days from last August"

Excellent point!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
On my return flight, LR worked just fine without an Internet connection. But I experienced what Glenn Davy reported below: I wasn't able to start Photoshop or Dreamweaver, both of which gave the "We can't verify" error.  I had run both of those programs within the last 10 days while connected.  

I wish I had seen Glenn's post ahead of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate