Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

11.0 Makes luminance targeted radial and gradient masks a nightmare

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, in my workflow as a professional portrait photographer, one of the best and most effective tools in Lightroom so far was the ability to create a radial or gradient mask targeted by luminance range or color. I could create a radial mask around a face, select for the midtones with a two clicks and make adjustments with nice smooth blending along the edges, all in one panel on the right hand side.

While the new masking tools in 11.0 have some great functionality, they also made masking as noted a huge pain. It seems I need to make a luminence mask, and then subtract by radial mask and invert. It also separates the adjustments across differnt panels, and for whatever reason, the mask apply much less smoothly. Im getting much more obvious breaking between the target and non target area. I cant seem to find the "feather" or other refinement tools that were all on the same right hand drop down. 

PLEASE BRING THIS BACK! I am ready to try and uninstall this version and go back to the old one as I used this method so much and it is an absolute nightmare in the new version.  

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I did find the feather adjustment, it does almost nothing to blend the adjusmtnet. If I used anything more than +0.20 additional exposure with targeting that is anything less than the full liminance scale, this is what happens. Garbage. It looks like it's breaking the gamut limits although there is plenty of info in the photo to bring up the shadow areas. I did this for years using the old tool and this is a signifigant loss of functionality.

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 11.11.30 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I cant seem to find the "feather" or other refinement tools"

The Control has feathering built in to the UI. See this example showing the tool with feathering enabled by dragging the handles appropriately. here the Range is 50 to 83 but feathers across 33 to 100. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 1.12.48 PM.png

Regarding Range Selections previously and new: Consider using the Intersect workflow.

Select Luminence Range - right click and say "Intersect" with Radial and draw your oval - or reverse this and draw an Oval first and intersect with the Luminance Range. It saves you Inverting and Subtracting. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines