• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

11.0 upgrade - New Catalog .lrcat-data file not backed up

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the new catalog file, suffixed " .lrcat-data", is not included when LR backs up on exit. The zip only has the .lrcat. Am I missing something here?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

The only masks saved to the 'lrcata-data' folder are 'sky' and 'subject'.

I've also just checked with 2 catalogs that have images with 'sky' and /or 'subject' masks and each saves the 'lrcat-data' file in the same backup zip as the 'lrcat' file. However, as I expected, a third catalog backup that has zero images with 'sky' or 'subject' masks (i.e. the 'lrcat-data' folder is empty) did not include the 'lrcat-data' folder.  So, the backup process is working as I understand that it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog file is the only file that is included in the automatic LrC backup. That is the way it has always been. If you feel that you need backups of other files then you need to use other software and devise your own independent backup system using the other software. That would include backing up the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thing is, this new file needs to be backed up as stated in ref (1)

"This file is located in the same folder as your catalog file. This file contains important information about your photos and edits and should be included in any backup regimes you may have. "

hmm, the Adobe documentation I am finding is not clear on this. Is that file included in auto backup or not.

Reference (2) and (3) state it is.

ref(1): Adobe | Lightroom Classic catalog FAQ

ref (2): https://www.michaelrungphotography.com/post/whats-new-in-lightroom-classic-11

ref (3): http://www.computer-darkroom.com/blog/category/adobe/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It certainly wasn't backed up on my installation. And it certainly should be, unless Adobe are saying that what they say in ref(1) isn't true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only masks saved to the 'lrcata-data' folder are 'sky' and 'subject'.

I've also just checked with 2 catalogs that have images with 'sky' and /or 'subject' masks and each saves the 'lrcat-data' file in the same backup zip as the 'lrcat' file. However, as I expected, a third catalog backup that has zero images with 'sky' or 'subject' masks (i.e. the 'lrcat-data' folder is empty) did not include the 'lrcat-data' folder.  So, the backup process is working as I understand that it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If lrcat-data folder is empty it will not be included in the backup.

If it contains data it should. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's what I was missing. It seems to be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is included in the 'exit' Backup. As Rikk says- "If it contains data it should."  And it does.

2021-10-29 10_28_59-Window.jpg

And I have re-named my Catalog files since that backup 🙂

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In der Übersicht zur neuen Version heißt es:
"Die Art und Weise, wie die Lightroom Classic-Datenbank auf dem Datenträger gespeichert wird, wurde optimiert und eine neue Datei wird erstellt. Diese neue Datei mit der Erweiterung .lrcat-data wird jetzt im selben Ordner wie deine Katalogdatei gefunden. Diese Datei enthält wichtige Informationen zu deinen Fotos und Bearbeitungen und sollte in allen Backup-Systemen enthalten sein, die du möglicherweise hast."

So weit so gut. Dann halte ich es allerdings für einen schwerwiegenden Fehler, diese Datei in die automatische Katalogsicherung beim Beenden von LRC nicht mit aufzunehmen. Im zip-File ist ausschließlich die .lrcat-Datei enthalten, jedoch nicht die .lrcat-data-Datei, wie von Adobe selbst dringend empfohlen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I think it is a serious error not to include this file in the automatic catalog backup when exiting LRC."

You are wrong! No error. It DOES include the .LRCAT.LRDATA file in the Backup when exiting. But this file will only appear after you have applied new Masking features of v11 to some images.

My screen-clip just above your post shows the two files in my ZIP backup file.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not used the new masking feature. However, on my laptop the "lrcat-data" file is saved with the catalog backup. But on my desktop pc it is not saved with the catalog backup. This gives me an uncertainty if the backup is working really like you are describing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't used the new Sky or Subject masking, then the lrcat-data file will be empty. Therefore, it is not included in the backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for the input, the issue is resolved - my misunderstanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am understanding that the backup will only save the lrcat-data file if one of the new functions is used. If it is the way like you say why is it saved on one computer and on the other not? I have not used the functions on both computers. I noticed today that on my desktop pc the file is not saved. Due to this I started my laptop and made a backup. Both files are included as shown in the screenshot of Rob_Cullen above. I did not use the new function on both computers. This is not understandable from my point of view. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lrct-data file saves the LUT Tables too as they are no longer stored in the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Rikk Flohr explains it simplified in- https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-classic-v-11-0-catalog-backup...

"Check the size of .lrcat-data. If it is 0 then no backup is necessary or will occur.

If it is >0 it should be part of the backup."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all thanks to everybody for answering. I checked the file size on both pc's. On my desktop pc is it shown as empty folder. On my laptop the size is > 0.  Seems to fit to the last answers. As the catalogs are different I assume that I used something on my laptop in the past which is now in the new ircatdata file. Solved the challenge for me so far. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If a LUT Profile has been applied or Subject/Sky Mask used and it is saved in After Develop Settings (present edits), Before Develop Setting, a Snapshot or History than it will be in the LRCAT-DATA file.  Even if you remove the photo it doesn't disappear until you Optimize the Catalog.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines