I installed 12.0 on Wednesday or Thursday and all was fine. 12.0.1 came out yesterday and I installed it. Suddenly all processes in LRC are extremely slow. I uninstalled the app, - rebooted the computer, installed the app from the CC app and, again, rebooted the computer. I find no notes regarding the issue.
Windows 11, LRC 12.0.1
Anybody else having an issue?
Welcome to the Lightroom Classic community. I'd be happy to help you figure this out.
Do you work with a multi-monitor setup? Could you please share a screenshot or video recording of this behavior? Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?
To begin troubleshooting, go to Lightroom Classic > Edit > Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor > Set it to Off if it is on Custom or Auto. If this shows you any differences, please check this article to troubleshoot the GPU further: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html
Let me know if this helps,
Thanks for the ideas. I have downloaded the suggested reading. I do use two monitors and, once I started looking through things, the first think I notice was that Windows apparently back-dated my graphics card driver in the last update. Seems strange but I can't think of any other way it could have happened as I use the GeForce Experience app to keep it up-to-date. I had installed the current driver about two months ago and found the driver that was now3 installed was from 1 1/2 years ago. Re-installing the current driver and re-optimizing the graphics setup helped.
It did not, however, fix things. I am still much slower than I was before that last update came out. I am working on a project and am able to muddle through under the current conditions and, once I finish it, I can go over the rest of the troubleshooting guide you referenced.
Thanks again for your assistance. I will let you know how it all works out.
I am seeing lots of people having major issues due to old plugins being installed that suddenly gobble up all the computer's memory afer the update. Check your plugin manager. You can disable some and see if that fixes things.
So, it turns out that there were a few plug-ins that I never intentionally loaded. Flicker (I never have used it) and Nikon terthering (I am a wildlife shooter and the likelihood of tethering to the computer is 0). I disabled both but that did not seem to help much, if any. Thank you for the idea, though, as I never even thought to look there.
Both of those are standard in the installation of Lightroom so no surprise. They should work fine but if you doNmt use ''em no problem not having them active. I remember one offending plug-in leading to massive memory use was mylio or something sounding like that
Try optimize catalog, this should be a catalog issue.
Is there any photos in your catalog on NAS?
Following are my investigation
All my photos are on NAS，several catalogs, some catalogs with more than 70k photos in it.
Optimize catalog works with few catalogs, and failed with the others.
With the failed catalog, navigate between photos, observe the metadata panel, the file info changed accordingly very slow. For example, select image 1 and switch to image2, but the file info displayed on matadata panel is still image1, it will take more than 5s to show file info of image2.
And I do more invetgation with it.
In the failed catalog, update the location of the root folder to local driver (any folder, make all photos missing, offline)
Then you will find that the navigate between photos will be normal (Observe the metadata panel, the file info changed accordingly very fast.)
Then select one subfolder, update the locaiton to the real location on the NAS. Try photo navigation in this subfolder. If it is normal, updata the location of the other subfolder.
After updating 3 or 4 subfolder location, if all is normal, do optimize catalog once. Then update the location of the root folder to NAS. Then it is very likely to be normal.
But I still get one catalog failed, I still do investigation on it.
Hope this is helpful for you.
NAS maybe not the root cause.
But still, you can try to make all the photos offline (update the location). After that, the photos navigation will be normal.
Then get back the subfolder one by one. Check online photos navigation.
Then optimize catalog.
Then get back all photos.
Based on my experience, with the issue catalog, the optmizing will take a very long time or never end. So make all photos offline will make the optimizing go quickly and can be end.