• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2019 Mac Pro performance terrible, laggy and slow

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the 2019 Mac Pro now for over 2.5 years and were fast approaching 3 years.

I would have expected a fix for this by now but I guess that is expecting way too much from Adobe.

Mac Pro

3.3 GHs 12 core

192GB ram

AMD Radeon Pro Vega 2 Video Card 32GB

Running two 32" monitors.  Apple XDR and a BenQ

I have tried the second monitor being Apple stuido display, an old dell 1080p, and a HP 32" and seem to have the same results with all.

The UI is supper laggy, I cant scroll through my library of images with out it stopping and freezing then catching up and then lagging.  Same goes for when I try to edit an image.  When I move a slider the slider sticks and wont stay attacted to my mouse.  There is also lag in when the eidt is aplied to the image. its almost as if the graphics card cant output to the screen normally..  

When I turn off my secondary display in lightroom all goes back to normal and performance seemes to be restored.  Same goes for when I completely unhook the second monitor it seems to work flawlessly on the XDR monitor.

My old trash can Mac Pro I always used dual screens to edit and never had any of these issues.  Why do i have a 6 year new computer that costs 3X as much but yet the performance is less than what it was before.

Ive had to resort to only editing on my Macbook Pro for the last couple years because that just works as its supposed to.  I would much rather sit down at my desk top workstation and use my dual screen setup to fly through edits but that just hasnt been the case.

Please anyone help.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us the size of the monitors in pixels (width and height).

Please tell us the size of your original raw image in pixels (width and height).

You say "Lightroom" but do you really mean "Lightroom Classic"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The XDR is 3008 x 1692

The BenQ 3840 x 2160 same as a HP I have tried.  

I have also tried the 27" Apple Stduio Display

Yes when I say lightroom i mean lightroom classic... i mean what pro is using the Cloud version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see where you tell me the size of your original images (in pixels, width and height)

... i mean what pro is using the Cloud version?

I can't find any relevance here, I don't know if you are a pro ... and I also don't have a clue what pro photographers are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot Sony A1s lossless compressed files are i think 61mb and the resolution is 8640 x 5760

Just by the computer descibed above it would be safe to say I am a pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just by the computer descibed above it would be safe to say I am a pro.

By @Chrisjhood

Since I don't know what computers pros use, I still find no relevance to your statement. But anyway, it seems as if @Ian Lyons has explained the matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate your help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I turn off my secondary display in lightroom all goes back to normal and performance seemes to be restored.  Same goes for when I completely unhook the second monitor it seems to work flawlessly on the XDR monitor.

The secondary display does not benefit from GPU acceleration. See the box with yellow line around for info on same.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html

With my Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 20 core CPU and 48 core GPU and MacBook Pro M1 Pro with 10 CPU cores and 16 GPU cores are both slow as treacle with stutters and lags between the two displays, which makes 2 display setup unuselable, espcially if 4K is scaled to anything other than 1080P. Like you I found that the late 2013 Mac Pro could easily handle two displays, but then it had a p..s poor GPU compared to what's now available, thus the two displays could easily stay in sync. My guess is that the disparity between the GPU primary and secondary display on systems with high performing GPUs means that the secondary can't keep up with the primary and everything goes out of sync. Fortuantely, I have little use for a 2 display setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i am not the only one thats experienced this issue, thats good to know.

I do notice the same exact issue on my M1 Max Macbook pro as soon as I hook up a second display to it, that could be the XDR could be Studio display could be a different 4k dispaly.

I guess the lesson learned is only edit with the 1 screen until hopefully adobe fixes their software to handle two screens again.

I greatly prefer the dual screen editing and would really like to go back to that.  

I dont get how a machine that is supposed to handle 3 6k displays for video editing applications cant handle 1 6k and 1 4k display for photo editing.

Please adobe fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont get how a machine that is supposed to handle 3 6k displays for video editing applications cant handle 1 6k and 1 4k display for photo editing.

Don't blame the hardware, it's more than capable. The issue is LrC two display support isn't fit for purpose.

I've submitted an internal bug report. That being said, this issue has been around for so long that there are likely more bug reports for it than the combined count of our fingers and toes 😉 Thing is, they fix it, it breaks, they fix it again, it breaks again, they... I'm sure you get the drift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure they have ever fixed it. I have tried to use dual screen setup since I bought it. Called in multiple times complaining of the slow performance and the lag. Not once was I ever told the lack of support for the second screen. You'd think that would be something they mention right off the bat.

please Adobe fix LrC so we can use two screens again like we once could years ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines