• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A Solution: "Connecting to Dynamic Link server failed" (Windows)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bottom line up front: Re-installing Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime 2012 Update 4 solved this issue for me. It must be this specific version of the runtime.

Details:
Read the steps below carefully as I doubt this solution will work for all variants of this error condition. For example, many people have indicated that Adobe's guidance worked for them.

Like many others across the internet, this problem vexed me. For over a year. I tried Adobe's guidance to no avail. I tried un-/reinstalling Lightroom. No effect. I tried installing Premiere Rush thinking that it would include a module shared with Lightroom. Nope. I tried importing a video into Photoshop. No joy.

...BUT the error message from Photoshop was subtly different. This led me to discover where this DynamicLinkMediaServer component resides (on Windows):
[Program Files]\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic\Helpers\DynamicLinkMediaServer

I attempted to run "dynamiclinkmediaserver.exe" directly and was presented with two new error messages:
"...cannot proceed because MSVCP110.dll was not found" and "...because MSVCR110.dll was not found".

I next looked at the folder [Windows]\system32 (where most core DLLs are installed) and confirmed that neither MSVCP110.dll nor MSVCR110.dll existed (though other variants of these DLLs were there). Those clues led me to determine which specific installer package contains those DLLs.

I installed the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime 2012 Update 4 and confirmed both DLLs were then installed.

I again tried running "dynamiclinkmediaserver.exe" directly and was pleased to find no error messages displayed.

Next, I attempted to import one of the videos that Lightroom refused to accept earlier - and it WORKED. After over a year of vexation, Lightroom is once again allowing me to include video assets in my catalog.

Good luck!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?