• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ability to shift Capture Time in half-hour increments instead of just whole hours

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just returned from India recently where I took several pictures (hundreds) with both my iPhone and my Nikon Z7.  Upon return, I realized that I had forgotten to change the time zone on my Nikon.  

Now I am stuck with hundreds of pictures where I can't shift the Metadata Capture Time to Indian Standard Time (which is 5h 30min ahead of GMT)!  Has no one before me faced this problem all these years?

Am I missing something?  Is there any easy way to shift Capture Times in half hour increments (instead of whole hours)?

With the population of India being what it is, I would categorize this as a bug rather than an app improvement request.  Please help.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand corrected.  I am told that "Adjust to a specified data and time" actually applies the specified time shift to all pictures.

This is not intuitive from the phrase "Adjust to a specified data and time".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's one of those things that you almost learn by trial and error. Even the help file isn't broad enough in the explanation. 

Adjust To A Specified Date And Time: Changes the capture time to the date and time you specify.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dialog does refer to "adjustment" and does describe that only in terms of (the single previewed) "this photo". We are left to extrapolate / presume unaided, what will happen to others highlighted.

When adding or subtracting a number of hours (timezone adjust), we will probably guess correctly that that is a relative change onto each. 

When changing capture date to match the file creation date, we will probably guess correctly that it will be each photo's own creation date that will be used.

But when it comes to the 'selected date and time' option, I'd agree, the behaviour should be made more apparent. I've seen similar uncertainty about this expressed, here and elsewhere, many times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

For such a basic command, Edit Capture Time is not very well designed.

Many years ago, Adobe did improve the wording on the Edit Capture Time dialog when multiple photos are selected:

"Modify the capture time stored in the selected photos by entering the correct time adjustment for the photo displayed to the left. Other photos (but not videos) will be adjusted by the same amount of time."

johnrellis_0-1674321871661.png

But it's undeniable based on all the forum posts that it still confuses many people.

The second option, "time zone adjust", reflects the ignorance by many North American / European developers that 1.5 billion people live in a time zone that's not an integral number of hours shifted from UTC.

And there's still no option for setting all the selected photos to the same exact date/time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops I stand corrected, that additional explanation does appear when multiple images are selected. I had forgotten to do so when posting earlier. Nonetheless as you say, it does not seem to be evident enough.

As to overriding multiple images all to the same date / time: yes LrC 'protects us from ourselves' there, presuming (I suppose) that such an outcome can only be unwanted. But I can think of valid use-cases for intentionally doing so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"As to overriding multiple images all to the same date / time: yes LrC 'protects us from ourselves' there, presuming (I suppose) that such an outcome can only be unwanted. But I can think of valid use-cases for intentionally doing so."

A primary use case is managing scans. Many users have posted here (including me) about changing a batch of scans all to the same date (which is likely approximate), e.g. all the photos on a roll of film.  The Photoshop Elements Organizer has always supported this by adding a fourth option:

johnrellis_0-1674336197695.png

I think the wording on that dialog is simpler and cleaner about what the options do than LR's Edit Capture Time, especially "Shift to new starting date and time".

The Capture Time To Exif plugin provides the missing functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes, scanning / rephotographing was the use I had in mind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines