• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adapting to the masking changes

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know if I'm missing a trick, but the new version of Lightroom is such a disaster for my workflow, I had to go back to the old version.

I'm a professional portrait photorapher, just for relevance.

They took away all the presets, sotfen skin, iris enhance, all of my own ones I'd made. Now we can create our own masks, which is great, but its awful because you cant carry those masks over image to image, so for every single photo I have to start again with no presets, or copy and paste over all the settings, neither of which is ideal to say the least. I need to be able to have my presets good to go, these take me most of the way there.

Any tips, urgh. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my WIN rig, just tested a mask, created mask in one photo, selected that and another, it worked. Note the mask button in the sync dialog, note a warning if the masks include AI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello There I et a lot of problems with the new version I need to go back on the lastest version

How do you go back on it please?

Thanks

Chrystèle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called them, they took over my PC and did it for me, took them 5 mins, but now I'm too afraid to close it just in case it forces the update. That new version is a nightmare, unless I just dont understand it properly, but to release it in November, when just about every photographer I know is in the height of their busy season seems like a terrible oversight, so much stress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no right time for everybody.  Just turn off automatic updates in the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and then you'll be able to upgrade if/when you're ready.  You get to the setting by clicking File --> Preferences --> Apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, not sure I understand.  Are you talking about the adjustment brush presets?  If so, they should all still be there.

tmickow_0-1635805745329.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thank goodness! I assumed I just couldn't find it, but when I was on chat with Adobe they didn't correct me so I probably just assumed the worst, so glad I reached out to the community! Maybe I'll brave the update in December now knowing this. Many thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but now I'm too afraid to close it just in case it forces the update."

Not a pro photog, but a retired pro Info Tech, Am I making a bad assumption that you are allowing auto updates in Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App for the applications? This can be turned off, as a Info Tech type, I never ever ever allow auto updates, oh, I allow the app to tell me they exist, but not to run.

to fix that, see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html#Autoupdate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this, that's exactly what the Adobe tech suggested too. I really like to keep the program up to date,  I think it's got better and better over the last few years, I like many of the changes, this one wrong footed me at this time of year, that won't happen again.

thanks for taking the time to reply with good advice, it's appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to those good suggestions, always check the update settings before you confirm them…especially if you have Auto-Update on. You can prevent a “forced” update by having Auto-Update off. I sure have Auto-Update disabled, I want to approve each one individually.

But even if you have Auto-Update off, when you manually click Update, you will be asked whether you want to bring forward your settings and preferences. Stop and make sure that is enabled, so that they’re available in the new version.

Creative-Cloud-Auto-Update-with-Lightroom-Classic.jpg

My local adjustment presets are present in the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that there are lots of new features and changes made to existing features in the upgrade, which need to be explored and become comfortable with prior to adopting for critical projects if you are financially dependent on the application.

Maybe the better approach would be to install the upgrade and do not accept the offer to convert your working Catalog.

My work is personal and I do not have financial considerations to consider. Normally I have auto update turned off as I have had some surprises that take a few hours recovering from.

I believe there is an option to retain the version 10 application and use a new Catalog to do your testing on LrC 11.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't take long to learn the new Masking which is the major change.  Watch a couple 10 minute Youtube videos and a little practice and you should be good to go.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes its dreadful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I for one am a fan of the latest version and haven't run into any issues. That said, you can access different effects once you have a mask selected.

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 7.28.02 AM.jpg

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a working pro and still mad that Apple canned Aperture. Lightroom certainly can't get a much worse UI, and the functionality changes haven't affected me at all. But I don't do heavy-duty retouching in LR, that's all done in Photoshop. I almost never do local adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely Hating it!

Completely destroyed my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@IIUnknownII sorry to hear that, can you explain what kind of problem you're having? It may be a simple solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am hating it as well.  Every task that I have attempted over the last 2 days has had issues.  I had to get help exporting when LR came up with an error saying it could not add watermarks (that I hadn't wanted anyway).    The masking keeps spinning and coming up with errors.   When I flag photos and move them to other folders, they are staying in the original folder and being mpre to the new one (which may be a new feature?  I have no idea.  But I don't want it and can't figure out how to fix it.   I also don't want to be forced to fix things that always worked just because I was asked to update).  When a mask didn't work and I tried to move on to cropping, it was stuck on another photo and would not allow me to choose another photo.   

I used to use the contrast option (I forget what the choices were but it always started in linear and with one click, it would go to moderate or high.   That option is now gone.  

So far for me, this update is a complete disaster for my personal workflow.   I hope some of the bigs get worked out soon. 😞    

I think there are probably some really good new tools but as someone who is only partially tech savvy, I am frustrated with all of these new problems.     Of course, it comes at a busy time when I have fall photo sessions that I am trying to get done efficiently.     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have resurrected an old post that related to an earlier verison of LRC, not V12. You have noted many issues above, and most of them have been addressed in other posts here in the past week or so since users have downloaded V12. You might find solutions if you look at other posts. In the meantime, if I were you, caught in the middle of busy season with new features that aren't working for you, I would roll back to a prior version until you have time to deal with the new features (and bugs).

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines