• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding text to existing captions as a batch edit

Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have hundreds of photos with their own unique captions, and I want to ADD an identical line of text to each of the captions. Is this possible as a batch edit?

Like this: [Existing caption] + [New line of text].

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

If you select a bunch of images and have <Mixed> in the caption, type your texr after it. This appends your text.

As Rikk mentioned, I do a plugin called Search and Replace which does more sophisticated text replacement (eg replacing a word anywhere in the caption).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom doesn't have this kind of capability, but it sounds like a job for Exiftool. With exiftool, you could send a folder or multiple folders full of files to be modified at a time, using a command line something like:

exiftool -P -IPTC:Caption-Abstract+="additional text…" *.jpg

(-P preserves the creation date, and += appends new data onto existing data). 

I'm not a user of Exiftool, perhaps someone who is could help further. I've just read and noted its capabilities, and see that it's quite powerful for tasks like this one. 

https://exiftool.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe plugins by John R Ellis or John Beardsworth offer this type of functionality inside of Lightroom. 

http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/lightroom/

https://johnrellis.com/lightroom/allplugins.htm 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select a bunch of images and have <Mixed> in the caption, type your texr after it. This appends your text.

As Rikk mentioned, I do a plugin called Search and Replace which does more sophisticated text replacement (eg replacing a word anywhere in the caption).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Splendid! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, that's excellent. I had no idea you could used <Mixed> as a token and just append text to it! Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@john beardsworth 

Thanks for the great tip John.  I tested this and this works in the Title and User Comment fields too!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a good one, isn't it? I've no idea how long it's been possible, probably from LR's earliest days, but I remember kicking myself when I found it much later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@john beardsworth 

I played with this some more and you can add text, even at the same time,  BEFORE and AFTER the <Mixed>  token.  What a great tip.  Well done!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines