• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjusting photo date-time causes LrC to hang

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often change the date of photos I've scanned and imported into Lightroom. Several times now, often late in the day, Lightroom hangs and won't complete the change and just shows the stuck progress bar. Its  very random, a couple times a week. Every time its happened its when I'm working on a single photo, not a batch. Usually I don't even see the progress bar because LrC processes date/time changes so fast. Changing the date has never been a problem in the past. (like when adding GPS coordinates I know to expect the program to slow or stall, but never for date changes.)

When it hangs, I can usually click on other pictures, but I can't do anything with them. If I try to shut LrC down, it warns that data is being written to XMP. I choose 'close anyway' which causes it to freeze and not shut down completely in which case I have to eventually Force Quit.

Here's the system info and a screen shot of the progess bar. Thanks.

Lightroom Classic version: 11.3.1 [ 202204181225-f90ebff5 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 12
Version: 12.3.1 [21E258]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 6
Processor speed: 3.7GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 65,536.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 65,536.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 7,121.4 MB (10.8%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 47,747.0 MB
Memory cache size: 2,666.0MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 14.3 [ 1072 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 154MB / 32767MB (0%)
Camera Raw real memory: 159MB / 65536MB (0%)
Displays: 1) 5120x2880

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 580X

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/Amy/Pictures/Lightroom/Catalog - Backups - Settings/Aim's Lightroom Catalog-v10-v11.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/Amy/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) Flickr
4) jb: CaptureTime to Exif
5) jf Geocoding Support
6) jf Metadata Wrangler
7) jf People Support
8) Luminar AI
9) Luminar Neo
10) Teekesselchen

Config.lua flags: NoneLrC hangs during date-time changes.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you restart LR, if you do Metadata > Edit Capture Time again on the same photo, does the problem happen again?

Unfortunately, Adobe is much less likely to look at a problem unless it can be reliably reproduced with a simple recipe (e.g. a particular photo).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, after restarting it works as expected, but of course I worry about having to force quit.

I understand your point about Adobe and not being able to reproduce this problem. Is this still the right thing to do (to report a non-reproducable bug) or should I not bother? (I'm a hobbiest and all though I've been using LR for several years, things like this go over my head really quick!)

Either way, thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely the right thing to report it here, in case others start noticing the same thing. If many people start reporting it, Adobe will pay more attention, even if there isn't a simple recipe for making the problem happen.

LR is very good about not losing data after a force quit -- the catalog is implemented by a SQLite database, an open-source database package that is widely used and very reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, all good to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am editing photos in catalogues on LI. Catalogues with a lot of photos. When I edit the captured time of photos, the LI gets stuck and I have to turn it off and turn it on in order to continue editing. Anyone can help me, please? Thanks a tons. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few others have reported similar symptoms. Please do the menu command Help > System Info and copy/paste the first ten lines here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this happen with LrC V 11.2? Can you try rolling back to 11.2?

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it did not happen in the previous version. I thought about rolling it back; I'd already done it once when 11.3 first came out after experiencing (new) problems with the Map module. I will definitely roll back again if it continues. Thanks for the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to second that, I am experiencing exactly same behavior on Lightroom 11.3.1. Rollback to 11.3 fixed the freezing of the UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RomanP,  please let us know which operating system version (Mac OS 12, Windows 10, or what?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS Big Sur 11.6.6 on 2019 iMac 27-inch 5K (Intel i9-9900K, 24 GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro R580X)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines