Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Camera Raw 11.0 on El Capitan

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I bought a new canon eos R and wanted to import my photos into Lightroom.

However I discovered I needed Camera Raw 11.0 so I wanted to upgrade my Camera Raw version.

Then I found out that Camera Raw 11.0 is not supported on OS X El Capitan. This is a massive problem for me as I'm unable to upgrade past El Capitan.

Is anyone having the same issue. I don't consider it to be normal that I would need to buy a new computer just for an update to the Raw processing capabilities.

I understand Adobe doesn't want to support older OS X versions with new features within LR etc however buying a new camera to then having to buy a new laptop because the raw files aren't supported is ridiculous.

I hope there is a solution for this as I'm now unable to see the pictures of my brand new camera .

Thanks

Stijn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the free Adobe DNG Converter and convert your raw images to DNG. That will be supported by older versions of Camera Raw and/or Lightroom.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan,

Will I lose anything during the conversion? Like EXIF data or something else?

Still hoping on native support as this is quite a cumbersome solution. Nevertheless thank you for the workaround.

Stijn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Lightroom or ACR doesn't work with your operating system, then the DNG converter will be your only solution. There is no solution that is not "a cumbersome solution" except to upgrade your operating system.

You don't lose anything in the conversion to DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dj_paige,

I'm unable to upgrade my OS as Apple has decided to no longer support my hardware.

If they can put Canon EOS R support in the DNG converter they can also make it work for ACR on El Capitan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stijnv37192135  wrote

Thanks dj_paige,

I'm unable to upgrade my OS as Apple has decided to no longer support my hardware.

If they can put Canon EOS R support in the DNG converter they can also make it work for ACR on El Capitan.

Sure they can!

And Adobe has no intention of doing so!

They have made the decision not to support El Capitan any more because they need certain features of the newer operating systems in order to have Lightroom and ACR perform in certain ways, allowing El Capitan support would necessarily remove these features from other users, and that's not a direction that Adobe will go in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked and Adobe DNG Converter also doesn't work on El Capitan

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh : Adobe DNG Converter 11.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On your laptop visit the Apple/iTunes store (or whatever it is now called) and search for a RAW converter or perhaps RAW editor that works on your OS. Might have to convert to TIFF, might not be DNG capable??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

On your laptop visit the Apple/iTunes store (or whatever it is now called) and search for a RAW converter or perhaps RAW editor that works on your OS. Might have to convert to TIFF, might not be DNG capable??

Converting to DNG in another raw converter will almost certainly mean that this DNG is linear RGB, not raw. You might as well convert to TIFF then.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue Mac 10.11 El Capitan, incapable of downloading Sierra/ Mac 10.12. The DNG converter isn't supported by this OS. And I just got my new Canon EOS R and am devastated. No way can I buy a new computer right now. I don't know what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe DNG (free) will not support your OS?

Perhaps another RAW to DNG converter. For example Iridient C-Transformer. Not free, but you can demo it to try out before deciding to purchase. Looks like it supports the R, looks like it requires MACOS 10.7 or newer

https://www.iridientdigital.com/products/ctransformer_download.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Canon Digital professional 4 or later to do adjustments on your CR3 and generate a new JPG or Tiff or transfer to photoshop directly to adjust furthermore. But you don't have the same sophisticated tools as in Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines