• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advice - downloading Classic and keeping standalone Lightroom 4.4

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly I am a bit of a luddite so please be gentle with me. 
I have the photography subscription- and my photoshop is up to date. The Lightroom version I have is no longer supported (Lightroom 4.4 circa 2012) , so I am plucking up the courage to upgrade but fear loosing previous edits .I would like to download lightroom classic, and want to know if my ancient lightroom 4 (circa 2012) will be automatically uninstalled ?  I have many projects on this (with individual catalogs for each project ) , and for safety sake want to keep this up and running - incase Lightroom Classic doesn't work on my old catalogs -

i would really appreciate any help, or advice from anyone who has done this. 
Thanks so much ! 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you launch Lightroom Classic for the first time, you will have to upgrade your LR 4 catalogs. Select File->Open Catalog and then you should say "Yes" or "Ok" or "Upgrade" or whatever the affirmative reply is. All (that's 100%) of your work in the LR 4 catalog will now be transferred to your new Lightroom Classic file. Nothing (that's 0%) is lost. But you will have to do this for each catalog.

While you can keep LR 4 installed, you will find that you don't need it any more, and after you care comfortable that everything is available, you can uninstall LR 4 (but that's up to you). But you will not have problems, everything works smoothly.

Lastly, depending on which Mac OS you have installed, you may need to set the proper security and privacy permissions for LrC to work: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lr-classic-11-3-library-amp-presets-mis...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! 
That is really reassuring. 
Also thanks for the links about privacy permissions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have many projects on this (with individual catalogs for each project )

Rather than having multiple catalogs, consider using the folders, collections, keywords, labels, and ratings features in Lightroom Classic to organise your images instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks @John Waller excellent point. @carolynm93479468 please take note (although this has nothing to do with LrC, it was equally good advice for Lightroom 4)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines