Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I currently have the following spec PC;

• Ryzen 9 3900x
  • 32gb RAM
  • Radeon R9 390 GPU
  • SSD for OS and Software
  • SSD for working files (see workflow below) 

Here is my current workflow;

• All my LR catalogs are on the 2nd SSD (which are automatically backed up to my NAS using a log off script)
  • Any RAW files I am working on are also on the 2nd SSD and archived to my NAS afterwards.

I want to take advantage of my motherboard's PCIe 4 M.2 slots and install another SSD.

With my current workflow would you recommend that I use the new M.2 to just store and use my LR Catalogs (retaining my log off script backup) and keep the working RAW files on the exisiting SSD or move these across also?

Also happy to hear any different ideas. 

Thanks all. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With my current workflow would you recommend that I use the new M.2 to just store and use my LR Catalogs (retaining my log off script backup) and keep the working RAW files on the exisiting SSD or move these across also?

What problem are you trying to solve? Be specific.

Some problems in Lightroom Classic can be improved with faster disks, other problems are not affected by faster disks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't a problem that I'm trying to resolve with Lightroom, but my video processing (which isn't Adobe Premiere but Vegas Pro) will also benefit from a faster drive.  This is what is pushing me to upgrade, but as I will be putting in a faster M.2 SSD I was thinking to maximize LR too.

I was always under the impression that the Catalog is the most dependent on disk read/writes rather than the LR application itself, but have heard that putting the installation on a faster disk is a better idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe you are correct about the Lightroom Classic classic catalog, and that the Library module benefits most from speedy disks. The rest of Lightroom Classic is only minimally impacted by disk speed. It probably is true that the installation on a faster disk will also speed up certain things, but I think we're talking about a few seconds each time you use LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines