• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After installing Catalog-v-10-3 I can't find my photos and (?) is not working

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have ongoing problems with linking my photos to Lightroom Classic and twice have lost them and had to restart the editing of my total collection – I have now re-edited back until 2019 (8 years to go).

I store my photos on an external SSD hard drive (G) and I also have backup on two other external drives (E) and (F) plus the C drive I decided to accept the update to Lightroom Classic (Catalog v10-3). Today I downloaded update but on restarting there was no G drive on the folders and only C drive and F drive with questions (?)  and no photos shown - virtual or otherwise.

Is there anything I can do other than downloading the photos and starting  to re-edit? Is there any support or advice anyonecan provide?

I will not do anything until get reliable advice for fear of making an irreversible  error.

Siahna Forward

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Catalog v10-3" sounds like Lightroom has made a catalog upgrade for the third time, even though an update from version 10.2 to 10.3 doesn't require a catalog upgrade at all. Your problem may be that you keep upgrading an old catalog. Take a look inside your catalog folder and show a screenshot of it here.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice. Please find the screenshot attached - is this what you require? Screenshot (2).png

Siahna Forward

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic cannot find the folders (see the question mark icon next to the folder name). You need to point Lightroom Classic to the proper location of the folders, follow these instructions (in particular, see Figure 4): http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, when fixing the missing folders.mIn that Folders Panel, the F drive. That folder named DNG. Is that the parent folder? You will want to start your missing folder repair at the parent folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I require a screenshot of the contents of the catalog folder, as seen by Windows Explorer. This screenshot does tell me something however and that is indeed that it looks like you have upgraded a catalog that was originally named 'Lightroom Catalog' three times with Lightroom version 10.x. Unless you know why you did that and have a good reason for it, this might be part of the problem. You can fix the 'missing folders' as suggested by @dj_paige , but if there are folders that are completely absent (not even shown with a question mark) then that is possibly because you keep upgrading an old catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan - problem solved!!

I store my photos on an external SSD hard drive ( for when i travel and use a smaller but slower laptop) and I have been backing up to the same drive. However it would appear that my recent backing up has sefaulted back the the C drive.

I appreciate your help and thankyou to the other folk that provided support - I will be able to now enjoy the Olympics and and sleep tonight

Siahna  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to acquire  another external drive for the backups. Backing up to the same drive as the files are normally on is begging Murphy to trash the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two other backup external drives plus a second internal drive.

Should I keep second a second catalogue backup each time I shut down - if so can i do this automatically?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree with GoldingD. There is no reason why you could not use the external drive with the photos as backup drive for your catalog (if the catalog is on the C drive). The most important thing is that you do not backup to the same drive that holds the original. You do need to backup the photos as well, of course, but that photos backup does not have to be online permanently and so it might be less useful for your catalog backups. If the photos backup is always online, then it makes more sense to use that drive for the catalog backup too.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My point was the OP is placing both the original photos and the backup of those photos on the same drive.

from OP

"I store my photos on an external SSD hard drive ( for when i travel and use a smaller but slower laptop) and I have been backing up to the same drive."

I take that as photos on ext SSD, backup of photos on same ext SSD.

Did I read that wrong?

If OP was referring to the Catalog, not the photos in that statement about backup, then fine, catalog on C, backup of catalog on ext SSD, fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines