Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

After renaming my files in chronological order, Lightroom is then grouping them by camera type

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone!  I've been using a preset to rename my files in LR by chronological order for years now, but in the last two imports, LR is reordering them first into chronological order and then by camera type.  I am a wedding photographer and shoot with two cameras (Nikon D750 & Nikon D810) that are synced by time when shooting.  It is crucial that the pictures reorder by capture time for culling / editing / delivery purposes.  Out of order photos are a nightmare.  Is this happening to anyone else?  How do get LR to ignore the camera type when reordering?  Please help!  Thank you kindly!

LR Filename Template Editor - Chronological Preset.png

TOPICS
Bug, Mac, Presets or profiles, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have no idea why file naming should not be happening as you wish, but it is not necessary to make use of filenaming in any case when working in the Library or in the Develop module. You can sort by Capture Time and then the specifics of filenaming or of camera type, will be beside the point. If Lr considers one camera to be inherently producing 'later' or 'earlier' photos than the other, then that is a more fundamental issue of metadata interpretation.

Sometimes differences in how timezones / daylight saving corrections are treated, or varying camera settings such as "travel" vs "home" timezone, can lead to oddities. That variation would then be seen reflected in Lr's date/time metadata - not only in the renaming.

For example, even if both clocks have been set to report the same apparently sychronised hour, the photo timestamps from two differently set cameras may have differing real-world 'meanings'. I'd have thought when it is the same camera brand, and provided the cameras are set the same in all respects, results should be consistent - but some experiment may still be needed. Especially when travelling: different practical outcomes may be achieved by changing the clock time, vs by changing the stated timezone.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines