• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All folders dissapeared

Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried to import from the camera card like a million times before, LRC did not execute, instead all folders dissappeared. All images are still there as shown in "all files", but the entire folder structure is gone in both, source (left) and target (right). I have no idea what happened as everything I did was within the daily routine. How can I reestablish the folder structure? Unfortunately I have been skipping the backup-option when closing LRC. Instead, I have been relying on regular Time Machine back ups. 

MacOS Big Sure 11.6.1, LRC 11.2

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot? Most likeky the panels are simply hidden.

Another possibility is that Lightroom needs to get the necessary permissions again:

FE0305D6-C524-49A6-B1AA-F6BFF45A1F45.png

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Johan, I wished for the panels to be just hidden! That was may first reaction but could not bring them back. Any suggestion to that?Attached a screen shot. Sorry for it to be in German! The total number (Alle Fotos) is the sum of images seen in the folders of the external drive (TheoBackup 6487) plus the few (455) images LRC can still see on the MacHD. In reality, there are a couple og thousand on the MacHD. The Library images show all images in chronological order though, including the ones in the invisible (dissapeared) folders, including their processed versions and I can switch to the Dev Module to confirm that all images are there at full size. All the collections are untouched as well.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-26 um 15.35.18.png

LRC does have the permissions in settings.

Thanks in advance!

Theo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit puzzled about what you claim. The total number of pictures is 6942 according to your screenshot. The folder panel shows 6487 pictures on the external disk and 455 pictures on the internal disk. That is the same 6942 pictures. So it seems to me all pictures are accounted for.

If you have pictures in the grid that are not counted in those numbers, then that sounds like catalog corruption. What happens when you select such a picture and then choose the 'Photos - Go to Folder in Library' menu?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you guessed, all the pictures not accounted in these numbers are the pictures of the now missing folders, while the grid shows all of them including the ones in the missing folder - in chronological order. Now I am puzzled on how I could select such a picture (in LRC) and do a 'Photos - Go to Folder in Library' as I can not perform that command in LRC but only in the Finder, where I can not select the picture.

If the catalogue has been corrupted, which is what think happened, for whatever reason, what would be your advise to recover it, as I have been skipping the "save" option when exiting. My best take would be to access the latest Time Machine backup and recover LRC saved there. But I am uncertain about the specific workflow. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I am puzzled on how I could select such a picture (in LRC) and do a 'Photos - Go to Folder in Library' as I can not perform that command in LRC but only in the Finder, where I can not select the picture.

If you can see the photo in the grid, then you should be able to use that menu. If the menu is dimmed, then that's another indication of catalog corruption.

1 2022-02-26 18-08-31.jpg

If the catalogue has been corrupted, which is what think happened, for whatever reason, what would be your advise to recover it, as I have been skipping the "save" option when exiting.

There is no 'Save' option when you quit Lightroom. I assume you mean you did not make a catalog backup on quit. Using Time Machine you should indeed be able to restore the catalog from a backup.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan

I love you! When I followed your command flow (sorry for not grasping it in the first place) it brought the folder back!!! 

Thanks so much!!

Very best regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It brought back the folders - not just one! 😅 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear! Now start making catalog backups on every quit...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Time Machine would likely to have helped also, but why choose the hard way...😁

Thanks again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Time Machine is a good backup system for your entire hard disk, and you should definitely keep using it, but Lightroom's own catalog backup does two things that Time Machine doesn't do: it verifies and optimizes the catalog. That means that Lightroom's catalog backup may detect a pending problem (and will offer to try to repair it) while Time Machine would simply backup the problem catalog without warning you.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines