• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any plans to upgrade smart preview resolution?

Enthusiast ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smartpreviews have been around for a while now. Camera sensors got larger, as did storage space. Are there any plans  that Adobe might increase the size of smart previews to better fit todays standards?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're not Adobe in this forum, we are other Lightroom Classic users, who don't know Adobe's plans.

The people who do know are not permitted to speak publicly on this matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a very good question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a smaller, easily transferable Smart Preview that is used on smartphones and tablets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bob Somrak wrote:

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a smaller, easily transferable Smart Preview that is used on smartphones and tablets.

Agreed. Adobe uses smart previews extensively for mobile solutions, so I think it's unlikely they will increase the resolution.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My phones can handle the full 45MP CR3s of a Canon R5, they can handle a few more pixels for a smart preview.

Currently there are 2500 pixels on the longest side, about 5 megapixels. I think an upgrade to 4K standards at 8 megapixels should be reasonable as people use their TVs to show photos from mobile devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're not saying it cannot be done. We are just saying that we believe it is unlikely that Adobe will do it. You are free to believe something else.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No because you could easily add 500-1000 pixels to their size and they still would be small and easy, todays devices are more powerfull.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would be extremely surprised if Adobe would increase the resolution of smart previews. Don't see them doing that in a million years. It's a good idea but I would just be stunned if they did. You can easily make smart preview like files by exporting to any resolution dng and using lossy compression in the export and they are nice files. I think fundamentally Adobe believes 2560 pixel files are good enough for any mobile purpose which is probably warrented as no devices really have higher resolution screens and it saves them bandwidth and cloud storage (adobe doesn't count smart previews to your cloud storage limit!) and therefore lots of money to not go bigger. That said, exporting to full resolution dng and using lossy compression is a great way to exchange very high quality files (they still are good for 99% of images). Those could be nice for this purpose but again I don't see Adobe doing anything like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines