• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any simple way to import a single image from a folder in LR Classic (MacOS)?

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any easy way to do this other than putting the image in a folder by itself?  

Even if I specify "New Photos", if I go to Library > Import and drop a file ont the LR screen, LR pulls in all the images in the folder containing that image, then greys out al but the new one.

LR Classic, MacOS, Catalina all up to date.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Lightroom greys out all the images except the new one, then what's the problem? That is exactly what you want, isn't it?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanElzenga If the folder to import from has dozens of images, I have to wait until they all are imported and then greyed out.

Just looking for a way to import a single image from a folder that contains multiple images,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using 'Folder Synchronize' may be a little faster, but it still needs to establish the photos that already are indexed in the folder.

And you can de-select the option to show the Import dialog window.

Rob_Cullen_0-1636932103184.png

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@snsok wrote:

@JohanElzenga If the folder to import from has dozens of images, I have to wait until they all are imported and then greyed out.

Just looking for a way to import a single image from a folder that contains multiple images,

If that really bothers you that much, then place the image on your desktop and import it from there. Let Lightroom move it to the original folder during import. I agree with Rob that 'Synchronize Folder' is not likely to be faster, because it is basically the same as importing the new images of a folder.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR isn't like Photoshop where you open a single photo, so you're only trying to make work for yourself. Import them all, then work on the one you want to process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, others are going to hate this.

Place the photo in the desired folder. In LrC, in the Folders panel, select that folder.  Right click, choose synchronize folder, you want to import new photo.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/create-folders.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you stated this-

"Any easy way to do this other than putting the image in a folder by itself?"

But this may just be the easier way! If you use the 'Auto Import' function.

I have a folder {AUTOIN} on my desktop that is the 'Watched folder' for Auto-Import.

I can drag and drop any image file/s from anywhere (File Explorer, Desktop, an email, etc) on to the 'watched Folder', and with LrC running, they appear in a 'Destination Folder'{AUTO IMPORTS} in the Library. This would require a Drag&Drop, folder>folder, in the LrC folder panel if you want the files re-married with others (eg. the original folder).

Example-

I drag a selected photo on the Desktop to my {AUTOIN} desktop folder-

2021-11-16 05_34_37-.jpg

The photo appears in the catalog in my {AUTO IMPORTS}  folder-

2021-11-16 05_43_32-Window.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Any simple way to import a single image from a folder in LR Classic (MacOS)?"

Sure -- you can drag the image from Finder and drop it either on LR's icon in the dock or, if LR is open, in the middle of Library Grid view.  That will automatically open Import with just that photo selected. You don't need to wait for LR to paint all the thumbnails -- as soon as the Import button is ungreyed, you can click it.

On Windows, you can drag an image from Explorer into Library Grid view, but you can't drag it onto LR's icon in the dock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines