• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apple M2 Catalog doesn't work with Intel Mec

New Here ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased an Apple Powerbook with M2 chip. When I started to use LRC, I was prompted to update the catalog. Now the catalog won't work on my Intel-based Apple desktop (they show up fine on the laptop). 

Is there a way around this?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the version of Lightroom on both computers the same version? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that you were asked to upgrade the catalog is an indication that the Intel mac is using an older version of Lightroom Classic. Upgrade Lightroom Classic through the Adobe Creative Cloud app and you should be able to use the catalog or copies of it on both Macs. Be sure to keep backup copies of your catalogs.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As expected that didn’t work.

I uninstalled the current version of LRC and reinstalled it from Creative Cloud.

I go into the import dialog and select the files I want in the catalog and the images are ‘grayed’ out. I select all, but the import button does not ‘light,’ so I cannot import anything. The catalog is stored (with the fotos) on an external SSD drive and they work just fine on the M2 laptop.

The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.
Aristotle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now the catalog won't work on my Intel-based Apple desktop (they show up fine on the laptop). 

I go into the import dialog and select the files I want in the catalog and the images are ‘grayed’ out. I select all, but the import button does not ‘light,’ so I cannot import anything. The catalog is stored (with the fotos) on an external SSD drive and they work just fine on the M2 laptop.

By @r lw33846831

Ok, you need to be more specific with the issue. First, you say the catalog will not work. And yes, if you updated the catalog for a newer LR version, an older LR, presumably on the other computer, couldn't use it. At all! 

Now you say you can't import. But the catalog must be running and launched. So that's a totally different issue. 

The catalog on the old Intel does open, right? 

So copy (duplicate) a document on your desktop. On the Intel Mac, try importing that copy from the desktop; does that work? 

Grayed out in Import, you disable "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" check box; still grayed out? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here we go again.

As I said initially, I have been using an Intel Mac for several years. Recently I purchased an M2 Macbook Pro to replace an even older Intel Macbook.

When I loaded LRC onto the M2, I was told the catalog had to be updated, so I clicked OK. The catalog resides on an external drive that I can switch between the desktop and laptop for travel convenience.

When I brought the external drive back to the Intel Mac, very few of the fotos showed up in the catalog. They’re on the drive and show up on the M2, but not on the Intel Mac.

When I try to access them on the Intel Mac, as I said, they don’t show up in the catalog. If I try to re-import them, they show up grayed out, but the Import button never activates.

It really looks like Adobe marked the files in some way when they were flowed into the M2 and they can’t be recognized on the Imac. LRC had to be modified to work with the M2, and I suspect this is another Adobe oversight. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, please humor us.

1. LrC version

Old MAC, what is the LrC version?

New MAC, what is the LrC version

2. EXT Hard drive name

Old MAC, what is the HD name

New MAC, what is the HD name.

3 LrC Catalog names

On the Ext HD, what is the full file name of the catalogs on it. Likely more than one.

4. File structure

Can you share a screenshot of your file structure. This from Finder. Hope to see relationship between catalog location and photo location, as in all in one structure? Or in unrelated folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really looks like Adobe marked the files in some way when they were flowed into the M2 and they can’t be recognized on the Imac. LRC had to be modified to work with the M2, and I suspect this is another Adobe oversight. 

By @r lw33846831

No, that isn't the case. That you can open the catalog on both machines proves this! 

A catalog needs to be updated when a newer version of Lightroom Classic is installed that supports (needs) a newer catalog structure. AND the old catalog will be kept too. 

If you have the same version of Lightroom Classic that updated the catalog on an Intel Mac OR an M1/M2 Mac, that catalog can be used. This has nothing to do with importing, which may be another issue that, as yet, isn't clear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why is it that when I updated the catalog for the M2 machine and everything is there, that the Intel machine with the same version of LRC doesn't 'see' any of the images that were there before the catalog upgrade?

The whole import issue came up because I tried (and am still trying) to get the Intel Mac to 'see' the images which are there and show up on the M2 machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you doing something wrong on import? Or elsewhere? Not sure, we need more clarity on what you're doing. It isn't a catalog/M2 issues you are assuming. 

The permissions and Privacy settings on that machine are set properly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Explain clearly “LRC doesn't 'see' any of the images that were there before the catalog upgrade?”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having to post this directly because the mailbox of the person who responded is full. This is the text of a response demanding I explain what LRC doesn't 'see' the fotos that it had always 'seen' before the laptop upgrade.

OK. First and foremost I’ve been using Lightroom and then Lightroom classic for at least 20years. I"m not a newb.

1 month ago I had an Intel-based iMac and Intel-based Macbook Pro and there was never any problem using LRC.

I transitioned to a M2 Macbook a month back.

When I first used LRC on the Macbook, I was prompted to update LRC that had been transferred from the Intel laptop and then to update the catalog.

After that update on the laptop, when I opened LRC on the Intel Mac using the same external SSD, the files that had been there for years before the transition to the M2 did not show up in the library.

The fotos are still on the drive and I can access them with everything BUT LRC. Once again, they do not appear in the Library.

The only reason I tried to import is that I thought maybe the catalog update changed something about the images and maybe I just needed to re-import them. That didn't work. Clearly something changed with the M2 version of LRC.

Someone suggested changing permissions but didn’t say to what. Since LRC had always worked in the Intel Mac until I changed laptops, I have made no permission changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First, let's start with some facts: Intel or M1/M2 (Apple Silicon), the LR catalog is agnostic. This isn't the problem. Full stop. 

Anyone who's used LR for "20 years" (an early version of Photoshop Lightroom, formerly named only Lightroom, was released to the public January 9, 2006) would have experienced having to update their catalogs multiple times over its real history. 

Files do NOT show up in the catalog per se. This is just like a book library card catalog: like LR; they point to where the photo (books) resides. The new catalog shows you previews?  Fine. It doesn't know where they reside. That's a different issue so tell us. They don't show up? Then where's the Previews.lrdata file(s)? 

Permissions and privacy: 

In System Preferences ((System Settings in Ventura), >Security & Privacy, >Full Disk Access, do you see Lightroom listed? If not, do add it and try again.

See: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Have you even attempted on the 'problematic' catalog to sync the root (or any) folders?

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/create-folders.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines