Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apply no Profile? (Profiles & Presets)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I understand difference between Profiles and Presets.  Presets basically adjusting the LR 'sliders' to achieve a wanted effect. Profiles adjusting similar things (plus more like LUT effects), but without adjusting the LR sliders, so you can then add to the Profile effect by adjusting the sliders.

Couple questions couldnt find elsewhere...

1.Presets can be applied on Import, but Profiles only in Develop Module afterward (using Ctrl-A apply, if want all imorted changed) - is that correct?

2. Is there such a thing as apply "No Profile" to an image - or do you always have to apply something for the raw image to be 'processed' to appear on screen.  The list of profiles doesnt have "None" so assume always have to select basic like Adobe Standard, or in my case Fuji Standard?  I think thats correct, but was something just bugging me when thinking about how best to import.

3. In Library Module, you can apply a Preset.  This includes under 'Defaults' a 'Camera Settings' option.  What camera settings is it applying here and how does this differ from the camera profile? Plus if you Select 'Camera Settings' on a Raw, why does this look different (including different histogram) to its imported jpg (that assume is the raw plus camera settings)?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Kinda. You can set Raw Defaults in the Presets tab of Preferences, 

2. No, you have to have the raw data interpreted. Raw data is B&W that gets mapped based on the mosaic pattern used.. X-Trans in your case. If you use Fuji you really should be selecting film simulations in camera and then using the Camera Settings option in Raw Defaults. 

3. Not sure where you're talking about here. If you mean Quick Develop, I don't see Camera settings there. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can apply presets and profiles outside of Import, but yes, you must select something when importing (there is no "None"). Nor should there be. 

Not sure either about #3, but in Library, you can again select profiles and presets (see below, a camera profile AS a preset):

ProfilePreset.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines