Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Are Multiple Catalogs the right choice?

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am scanning photos for a friend.  They'll require some minor touchup like cropping, color adjustment that I plan to do in lightroom.  When I am done I will give her the photos.  I have no intention of keeping a copy.  I am thinking a separate catalog makes sense in this case.  I don't want to overload my catalog with all this data I don't plan to keep.  Appreciate any advice and experience you could share.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree that a separate catalog makes sense in this situation, that's probably what I would do (in fact I've previously done just that).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it makes sense to use a separate catalog. Do remember that you will have to export the images in order to apply the edits. Or -if your friend uses Lightroom Classic too- send her the catalog as well.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO- Yes, a Catalog specifically for this one job will work. (I have done so, and I presume many others do also.)

But OTOH, Importing to your Master catalog, Exporting the edited  images, and then deleting the data later, can also work! You will have all your Keywords and Smart Collections to work with.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 11.0.1, Photoshop 23.0.2, Lightroom 5.0, Bridge 12.0, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done scanning jobs of a large group of images a couple of times for friends (to create a montage and slide show for a funeral) and find the simplest way is to import the images directly into my main catalog, all in one folder. Then I do the necessary edits, export the images, and deliver the images either on a thumb drive or uploaded to my Shootproof site. Some time later, when I'm sure they've received the edited images, I can delete them, then the folder from LR, which will  have the effect of removing them from my hard drive as well. 

By the way, if you haven't already discovered this trick, lay as many prints as you can fit onto your scanner at a time. Don't worry if they're not all in the same orientation. Then create virtual copies in LR, one for each discrete image in the scan, rotate, crop and edit as required. Scanners are slow, and this saves a ton of time!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also agree, as an archive you will not regularly use or visit, a separate catalog is fine. Otherwise I'm all for just one catalog. FWIW, I've done a similar task for friends and just spun off a separate catalog and backed it up to the cloud for them. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines