Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Are Tags, Keywords?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my early experiimentation with Lightroom Classic, I created a pretty well organized keyword list, but I didn't like the way my Pictures folder was organized.

So i decided to delete the original catalog, export my keyword list to a .txt file for later use, rearrange my Pictures folder, re-launch Lightroom Classic, start a new catalog, import my saved keyword list, and then re-import all my pictures into Lightroom Classic.

Hundreds of those pictures already contained keywords (Windows calls them "Tags"), that I had earlier entered via Windows Explorer\File Properties, long before I got LightRoom, but none of those keywords ("tags") appear to have been imported by LRC.

I had hoped they'd simply appear somewhere, in the right panel Keywords list - but they don't.

What am I missing, and is there any way to get LRC to recognize those "Tags"?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Windows Tags are Keywords.

Not sure how it behaves exactly when you first import, as I never add keywords before importing my pictures into LrC, but if you change tags in Windows Explorer for an image that's already in LrC, as I just did, when back in LrC you'll see this, meaning that the metadata has been changed outside of Lightroom:

MNiessenPhoto_0-1636477628251.png

If you then right-click on the picture and select Metadata > Read metadata from file, tags/keywords will be loaded and displayed in LrC.

Does that help?

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The keywords added in Windows Explorer should be showing in the Keyword Tags panel. Select one of the image files that has tags showing in Windows Explorer and go to the Library module menu Metadata> Read Metadata from File. Do they now appear?

ToddShaner_0-1636487570117.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines