• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto-import to main catalog folder

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I manually import images from my camera they are copied into the main catalog folder by date.  I am scanning in a bunch of slides and the scanning software sets a destination folder for the scans. I would like LRC to autoimport the images into my main catalog folder as they are scanned and saved.  When I go to the auto import settings it asks for the watched folder (in my case the folder the scanner scans to) and then it asks for the destination folder and subfolder within that. I just want it to import into my main catalog and move the scanned images to the right folder by scanned date as if I were importing them manually. I do not want them placed in another folder.  

Am I misunderstanding something fundamental about importing and auto-importing?  cheers

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...by scanned date..."  That will not happen automatically, unfortunately.

All files that 'arrive' in the Catalog by Auto-Import will be in the one 'Destination' folder set in the Auto-Import setup.

The 'Destination' folder can be ANY folder you [choose], anywhere in your folder structure, but, yes, it does demand a sub-folder be stated for the imported files. Give the sub-folder a 'Date' name, eg. {2022-01-10}

After the scan and auto-import can you then Drag&Drop files to other folders in the LrC folder panel.

-

Summary method-

1. Set up a 'Watched' folder first before you scan. It must be empty!

2. Set up the Destination Folder/sub-folder in Auto-Import setup. 

3. Then set up the Scanner destination folder to be the 'Watched' folder.

4. Scan

5. Move files in the Catalog if desired.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I guess I'll just manually import the scanned images so I don't end up with three copies of the same image on my disk.  Cheers and thanks for the reply.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"...so I don't end up with three copies of the same image on my disk.."

Explain why that would happen. (it doesn't!)

Scanning will 'save' a scan file in the Watched folder.

LrC will MOVE that file into the Destination Folder. (emptying the Watched folder)

That's it- ONE file ending up in the Destination folder and referenced in the Catalog.

I use Auto-Import frequently. My Watched Folder sits on my desktop, and  any file placed in this folder is moved to its Destination folder.

2022-01-11 09_45_08-Window.jpg2022-01-11 09_44_50-Window.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines