• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatically refile all photos that have the date creation date changed.

Participant ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I do this?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

It would be useful to have a plugin for this purpose.

Currently my method is to filter photos for the 'new' date and simply drag the selected photos to an appropriate existing 'date' folder. Not terribly difficult.

If a folder does not already exist for the 'new' date- my procedure is this-

1) Filter photos for a Date (the new creation date)

2) Select all photos

3) [Right-Click] on a 'parent' folder for which you want to create a dated sub-folder

2023-10-20 09_44_46-Roberts Catalog-v13 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

4) Choose [Create Folder Inside"xxxx"...]

5) A

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

You can do this semi-automatically. Make sure you change the dates before you do other things, that will be best:

1: Select all the photos and change the date. Note you can let Lightroom write date changes into the original file!

2: Export all the photos 'as original'. This will export them with an XMP sidecar file, so the date change will be in there if you did not write it to file.

3: Delete all the selected photos from the catalog and from disk.

4: Import the exported photos back into the cat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted too soon.  If I use a date-based folder structure and if I change the creation date of a photo, can I select affected photos and have Lightroom move them to the correct YYYY-MM-DD folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got an email from Adobe which included:

Did it solve your problem?

Click here to view the reply and mark one correct.

This helps others find helpful answers in the community too!

Short answer.  NO!  And there were no other replies, because I suspect that this qestion highlights a missing capability in LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Automatically? No

Manually? Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point of my request is that Lightroom can move these redated photos automatically (after selection), so I don't have to do it manually. That is time-consuming and error-prone.  I would be happy if a plug-in author wrote a routine for this purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be useful to have a plugin for this purpose.

Currently my method is to filter photos for the 'new' date and simply drag the selected photos to an appropriate existing 'date' folder. Not terribly difficult.

If a folder does not already exist for the 'new' date- my procedure is this-

1) Filter photos for a Date (the new creation date)

2) Select all photos

3) [Right-Click] on a 'parent' folder for which you want to create a dated sub-folder

2023-10-20 09_44_46-Roberts Catalog-v13 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

4) Choose [Create Folder Inside"xxxx"...]

5) Answer the prompts - New Folder name. Include selected photos. Create.

2023-10-20 09_45_27-Create Folder.jpg

Done!  New Folder created. Photos automatically moved to the new folder.

Also not a terribly onerous a task.

I use this method for my many scanned film photos from the 90's. Change their creation date- Move them to an appropriate dated folder (eg. 1999-12-01, etc).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob,

That's pretty much what I do today, manually of course, but that method becomes onerous if there are a lot of different dates involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"It would be useful to have a plugin for this purpose."

Unfortunately, the LR plugin SDK doesn't provide methods for moving or deleting photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this semi-automatically. Make sure you change the dates before you do other things, that will be best:

1: Select all the photos and change the date. Note you can let Lightroom write date changes into the original file!

2: Export all the photos 'as original'. This will export them with an XMP sidecar file, so the date change will be in there if you did not write it to file.

3: Delete all the selected photos from the catalog and from disk.

4: Import the exported photos back into the catalog using your normal dated folder destination setup.

5: If you always change the file name on import using the capture date, also do so with the imported photos (you may need to use an adapted template).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines