• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

B&W files exporting smaller than color images

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I recently imported some files into Lightroom and made a copy of each so I had two identical collections. One collection I edited in color and the other as B&W. I exported each collection with the same settings - JPEGS at the highest quality (these are for print). I noticed that the color exports are several megs larger than the B&W exports. Does anyone know why this happened and how to prevent it? Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

B&W images will compress much better than color images, even if the B&W images are still in RGB and not in greyscale. That is because 8 bits allows 256 shades per channel, so color images can have 256x256x256 colors, while B&W images will only have 256 shades of grey. So this is completely as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore megabytes of exported photos. These are meaningless, and do not indicate quality. JPG is a compression technology, and it is not unusual for different photos to export at different megabytes, because they compress differently. 

So how to prevent it? You can't, and as stated, its not a problem when it happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh great to know! Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen shot of your export window settings for both color and B&W?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

B&W images will compress much better than color images, even if the B&W images are still in RGB and not in greyscale. That is because 8 bits allows 256 shades per channel, so color images can have 256x256x256 colors, while B&W images will only have 256 shades of grey. So this is completely as expected.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines