• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

B&W panel without control slides

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo in Lightroom classic developing window, the B&W panel  has missed the regulation slides. I try to reinstall all but the problem is still there. The panel exist but without control slides. Thanks for any help

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I see you have disabled the  B&W panel. Try to activate it with slide switch.

2022-01-19 13_14_30-B&W panel without control slides - Adobe Support Community - 12690608.png

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

You may have set Profile to be Camera Monochrome.  Try setting it to Adobe Monochrome:

johnrellis_0-1642611516217.png

When the profile is set to Camera Monochrome, the B & W sliders won't appear.  Others have complained about that:

https://feedback-readonly.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-setting-pr... 

Adobe Camera Raw behaves the same way, so I'm guessing this is by-design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the profile chosen outputs pure monochrome picture information, then the downstream processing has no access to any hue, and these sliders become redundant (having nothing to work from).

If OTOH a profile is chosen which leaves the colour in. then the B&W conversion can be set to vary its tone response according to those different hues.

I prefer to go one step more, leave the image in colour mode, but rather than using B&W mode I leave the image in colour. Then I set all the Saturation sliders in HSL panel to zero, producing a monochrome appearance. Now the HSL Luminance sliders work to the same effect as the B&W sliders otherwise would do, but every other colour-specific adjustment remains active.

LrC is outputting an RGB rather than a monochrome image anyway, and even if fully monochrome processed e.g. Tone Curve or grading can still reintroduce some hue information, hence the selection of B&W / Colour working 'treatment', is in effect moot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that begs the question why Adobe doesn't define the camera-matching profiles Camera Monochrome to behave the same as Adobe Monochrome?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess, one answer to why this may be different lies in the dread phrase "camera matching"! If you imported a camera generated JPG that had been taken in monochrome mode, this would retain zero scene hue information that could be made use of in subsequent processing. This Raw profile is apparently aiming to mimic the exact same outcome... (grin)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But the Adobe Monochrome profile has a defined starting point that can be modified by the sliders, just like the color Adobe Standard profile has a defined starting point.  So it should be possible to implement the Camera Monochrome profile to have a different starting point (which approximates the camera's black-and-white setting) but still allow the sliders to operate, as with Adobe Monochrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines