• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

B&W .tiff refuse to import due to "...files are not supported or damaged"

Participant ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a few hundred B&W scans in the .tiff format that refuse to import into LR Classic. I have read about this issue and there seem to be certain color spaces and or bit depths that LR will not import, I get the error that the files are not supported or damaged. I had this issue several years ago and just ran a conversion on the files and everything was fine after that.

I would be using MacOS GraphicConverter 11 to do the conversions, Just looking for the correct parameters to allow for LR importation.
Thanks
Henry
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind sharing on of these tiffs, so we could take a look at it?

If it's smaller than 47 MB, you can attach it here.

It it's larger, use Dropbox or some other file sharing service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share it via DropBox regardless of size. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are three in a dropbox folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/osmqg1bbrelg2w2/AAC-Sg09USnBNb_5Xk7wFp-Ra?dl=0

Thanks for taking a look

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a few conversions in MacOS GraphicConverter11 and this is what I found

Original (001.TIFF in Dropbox folder) is

129 kb tiff

19.5 mb .psd

1.6 mb jpg

206 kb .png

The TIFF and the PSD will not import, the PNG andf the JPG import normally. I will go ahead with the .png's unless someone has a better format solution? I dont know much about png's, my goal is to NOT use a lossy format as these are scanns intended for archiving, which is whty I selected TIFF in the first place.

I cant beleive the 129kb file went to 19.5 mb just on a .psd conversion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same message when I try to import the .TIFF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The files named as TIFF are in 'Bitmap' mode.

https://helpx.adobe.com/bg/photoshop-elements/using/using-image-modes-color-tables.htmlBitmap

LrC does not support Bitmap images.

Photoshop will open Bitmap images, but can resave in Greyscale mode that LrC will import. Or use your conversion app.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These tiffs are in bitmap mode, which is not supported by Lightroom.

Open them in Photoshop, convert them to grayscale, and save them, then import in Lightroom.

I suggest that you save them (use Save As) with LZW compression in PS, which will result in very small files. 001.tiff went from 19 MB to 322 KB. Bitmap files only contain two colors (black and white), so they compress really well.

If you have hundreds of these bitmap files, I suggest that you create an action in Photoshop to convert them, which will save you a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines